Our first half term has involved having to embrace lots of changes (we hope, all positive!) in the ways which we work, and we would really encourage our Secondary School students to use the holiday to relax, spend time with family and friends but also to prepare for the coming half term. This is the time to reflect on where they are in their education and how they are going to work towards achieving their goals.
Many of our Sixth Form students are in the middle of completing external AS Level examinations that they had thought were going to take place last June; some will have even submitted their early applications to prestigious universities across the world. Our Year 11 students are in their final year of their GCSE courses, knowing that in just a few months, they will be sitting final examinations. And of course, all other students have started working through their new programmes of study for the year.
So, however you decide to support your children during the weeklong holiday, please ensure they take the time to breathe, focus on goals and set their sights on ‘being ambitious’ this year.
Here are some activities that will have a positive impact on their school experience for the next half-term:
- Get them away from devices and screens as much as possible (especially our Virtual School learners);
- Ensure they take the time to get up to date with assignments and tasks;
- Help them organise notes and learning activities from the past few weeks;
- Encourage them to make a timeline for the rest of the year so that they know when key events are taking place (examinations, term dates etc) and add them to their calendar;
- Read a book or watch a film (in English!) with them;
- Do some exercise together and get some fresh air;
- Motivate them to think about their future; have a look at University websites. Many are offering amazing ‘virtual experiences’ at the moment.