Sorry but this form will not work without cookies enabled. Please adjust your browser settings to enable cookies to continue. For more information on how to do this please see our.

BVIS Hanoi - A Nord Anglia Education School
  • A Unique Approach

    We offer the best of British and Vietnamese education.

    BVIS Hanoi Students Primary Our School

  • Developing future leaders today

    Our students are confident, creative and compassionate, and ready to be the leaders of the future.

    BVIS Hanoi Students

  • Inspiring Your Child

    Our staff are dedicated to knowing every child well and adapting the teaching approach to ensure all can be successful.

    BVIS Hanoi Staff

  • Setting hearts alight for learning

    Our curriculum is designed to give children the tools to learn and ability to succeed in Vietnam and Overseas.

    BVIS Hanoi Curriculum

  • Start your journey with us

    Essential information so that you are never out of touch.

    BVIS Hanoi Admissions

  • Every Day is Precious

    Every day there's something new and exciting instore.

    BVIS Hanoi News & Blogs

  • Get in touch

    We are looking forward to answering your questions.

    BVIS Hanoi Parents

Primary Weekly Update 19/10/2018 from Dr Nici Wood

  • truong-quoc-te-anh-viet-ha-noi-cap-nhat-hang-tuan
  • c
  • edtach-bvis-ha-noi
  • truong-quoc-te-anh-viet-ha-noi

Dear parents,


How fast the term flies, already we have reached our midterm break.  I hope that you all enjoy a restful time with your families.  We look forward to seeing you back in school on Monday October 29th.

 

During this week, the children were given assessments in Literacy and Maths.  Their performance in these tests will enable us to create baseline data from which we will be able to determine your child’s progress over the term and, then ultimately, the year.  You will receive a report at the end of the term which will give you information on their progress in these areas.

 

Information about how you can support your children at home with their reading was delivered during a Reading workshop on Monday, with our thanks to Ms. Nuala and Ms. Trang.  Some problems (with suggested solutions) encountered were:

 

  • I don’t feel I can help my child to read at home:

 

“We understand that not all parents can speak English to the level that you can help your children. While your child reads a book in English, you can ask questions in Vietnamese/Korean. They don’t need to answer in English to show they have read and understood the book. This will enable you to question your child and discuss the book with them in your home language.”

 

  • My child doesn’t feel there is anything interesting to read!

 

“Have you tried these alternatives? Graphic Novels, Nonfiction books, Audio Books, Apps and websites.  Your child can read anywhere, at any time. They don’t need to be sat still. They many even want to doodle or play with a fidget toy while reading. You can even try Singalong books. Your child spends 18% of their week with their class teachers who model good reading to them. The remaining 82% of the time is up to you.  If you read a lot on a device then share this with them, but from time to time pick up a physical book to send a clear message to them. Have family reading time, share a book together or ask them to read to you or tell you about a story in the car.”

 

We hope that you feel this information is of value.

 

More extra-curricular involvement was seen this week with our Year 4 students participating in their residential trip to Le Ferme Du Colvert.  The class stories on Dojo really highlighted the fun that they were having.  Thanks to all of the Year 4 team for organising the trip and supporting the children.

 

My condolences go to the staff and children in Year 2 who were unable to attend their camping trip in the park as a result of the rain.  We look forward to rescheduling the event after the midterm break.

 

As an exciting climax to their ‘Rainforest’ theme this half term, the Year 3 children performed presentations to their parents on Tuesday morning, both in English and in Vietnamese. It always fills me with pride to see how comfortable these emerging bilinguals are at making the transition between two languages.  Thanks to our Year 3 teachers for preparing the children and to the parents who showed their support by attending.

 

Our Student Ambassadors were elected this week and we look forward to working closely with them over the course of the year, as they develop their leadership skills.  Congratulations to all of the children elected.  Their names will be published on the school feed through Class Dojo.

 

And finally, what a great way to end the week in the form of our second ‘Live Lunch’ event. Selected children played pieces on their musical instruments, with the world watching, as a live feed was streamed through our Facebook account.  Well done, children, and thank you to Ms Emily and Mr Hung.