BVIS Oscars 2019
This week, we were very proud to host our second annual BVIS Oscars’ Ceremony. This is held to celebrate the work of the Media Studies and Film Club students. The event was presented by Film Club members, Hoang Duy and Phuc Binh in 7I and Tran Hoan and Duc Loc in 9B. The categories were as follows:
- Best Opening Sequence in a Year 12 film.
Their brief was to create the titles and opening sequence (approximately two minutes) of a feature film. Three sequences were nominated:
- Choco Studios – BEFORE US – Sasu, Thao and Hoang (romantic drama)
- Bellow Production – JUDGE – Keisuke, Phan Anh and Arjun (gritty cop drama)
- Tuning Production - STRANDED – Cong, Nam and Leo (psychological horror)
And the overall winner was STRANDED
Best Short Film - Year 13.
Their brief was to create a short film, of approximately five minutes, of any genre. Two films were nominated:
- ‘APPINESS’ – Jane and Frank - a comment on social media influence and materialism.
- ‘Ớ?!’ – Hayley, Anna and Danny - a romantic drama challenging gender/sexual stereotypes in Vietnamese with English subtitles.
And the winner was ‘Ớ?!’
There was also an Audience Award presented by BVIS 2018 graduate, Steve Le. This was voted for by all the students, live, in Secondary Assembly during the ceremony.
The Year 12s and Year 13 students proved that they had really worked well together to support each other’s productions by providing crew and acting talent in each other’s films. They were supportive rather than competitive and deep friendships were developed between students new to BVIS in Year 12 and those continuing from Year 11.
Congratulations to all of the students for making films of the highest quality and my thanks to Mrs McKie for organising the event and guiding the Media students through their coursework.
I hope you all have a great week ahead.