Today’s students are growing up in an increasingly complex world, living their lives seamlessly on and offline. This presents many positive and exciting opportunities, but also challenges and risks. The online world develops and changes at great speed and new opportunities are appearing all the time.
At BIS Abu Dhabi, we want to equip all of our students with the knowledge needed to make the best use of the internet and technology in a safe, considered and respectful way, so they are able to reap the benefits of all of the positive things it has to offer. It is therefore important, to focus on the underpinning knowledge and behaviours that can help students to navigate the online world safely and confidently regardless of the device, platform or app.
In light of this, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, shared 10 guidelines to be strictly followed on social media. The ten points of conduct follow Sheikh Mohammed's open letter written in September to the residents and citizens. In the letter, Sheikh Mohammed urged people to be mindful of their behaviour so as to not tarnish the country’s image on social media.
“We shall not accept that a number of online users taint the legacy of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan that he established on the values of credibility, love and respect. The image of our country and citizens should remain as intact and bright as Sheikh Zayed had aspired it to be.”
Sheikh Mohammed’s ten characteristics of a person using social media in the UAE are as follows:
- A person who represents Sheikh Zayed, the UAE’s founding father, and his principles when interacting with others
- A person who reflects the knowledge, culture and the level and sophistication of civilisation achieved by the UAE
- A person who does not use insults, foul language or any other word that’s indecent.
- A person who uses logic and reasoning in a conversation
- A person who appreciates a good word, a beautiful picture and interacts with positive thoughts, cultures and societies
- A person who helps others by sharing information, ideas, social and human initiatives that enrich the country
- A person who gets involved with his/her international surroundings, speaks its language, deals with its issues and positively interacts with its future
- A confident person who accepts differences and builds bridges with other people
- A person who reflects the humble nature and love of Emiratis, and the love and openness towards others
- A person who adores the nation, is always proud of it, and would sacrifice for it.
Supporting our students to make the right decisions regarding online activity is a collective responsibility and support at home and school is imperative to keep our students safe.
Student Wellbeing Team