The word “curriculum” can represent a multitude of ideas in the minds of teachers, parents and students. Many will see curriculum as a checklist of subjects and topics that are worked through. Some will see curriculum as knowledge and skills that need to be learned, memorized or developed. Others might even view a curriculum as a programme of experiences for students to work through as they progress through school.
Here at the British International School of Houston, we view curriculum as a key and integral part of a learning programme that seeks to empower and support our students as they set out to achieve the highest possible academic goals and prepare for a successful life both in school and beyond. The following quote encapsulates the belief that our curriculum should be viewed as far more than something that is required to be passed, checked off and worked through. It should be part of an engaging, rewarding and memorable life experience for all concerned.
The requirements for our curriculum:
- Place learners and learning at the centre of everything we do
- Provide a holistic educational experience based on global best practices
- Challenges for each individual based on personal interests and skills
- Preparation for unrivalled success in internationally recognised qualifications
- Opportunity to join the world’s top universities
- Reputation for laying the foundation for success beyond school
- Provide opportunities for our students to develop into the world’s future leaders
- Fully committed to developing
To ensure a curriculum that is both rigorous and capable of preparing our students for all of their ultimate exit points, our curriculum is developed from a range of internationally recognized sources including:
By drawing upon key elements from each of these internationally recognised curricular, we firmly believe that our students have the best possible preparation for success both with us and beyond.