Our SALT (Speech And Language Therapy) team, Ms Fatima and Ms Nikoletta, led a workshop that focused on general communication skills and the identification of breakdowns and strategies to address them, so that children's communication skills are facilitated.
Some of the top tips shared were:
- Attention and listening skills: Make children aware of good listening skills, e.g. teach the rules for listening such as 'you listen with your ears, eyes and body, get ready!'
- Receptive skills (understanding): Encourage children to use strategies to understand information, e.g. children can be asked to repeat information in their heads/ out loud, write down important words and ask for help
- Expressive skills (talking): Five finger rule - Use 4 comments before asking a question
- Speech/ Fluency skills: Give children time to finish their sentences. If a child is struggling to get his/her words out, allow thinking time instead of asking questions and/or giving the words
- Social communication: Barrier and rule-based games develop communication skills e.g. listening to others, taking turns and sharing information
The SALT team is always available to discuss any concerns parents may have so please do drop them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Speech and Language Therapist