Mr Short, our principal, knows all about the excitement of a new school year. Here is his advice to new parents:
- Talk to your child about what is likely to happen on the first day
- Encourage your child to ask questions - at DCIS no question is too small!
- Discuss with your child all the other ‘firsts' they have experienced and reassure them that they will be able to cope as they did with the other ‘firsts’
- Connect with the Class Parent – the details will be available from the class teacher or form tutor. This will keep you in touch with class activities away from school
- If you are anxious, your child will be anxious. Trust the teachers!
Mrs Gray, Head of Lower Primary School and Ms Lebihan, Head of Primary School share their top tips:
- Read through your teacher's profile together with your child
- If anything is worrying you, write it down and ask your teacher
- Spend some time labelling all your school things so that you are ready for your first day
- Don't Worry! Your teacher will tell you all you need to know on your first day. If you get lost or need help, you can ask any of the adults wearing blue lanyards
- Try to talk to 3 new friends on your first day and remember their names
- Finally, have a great first day. Remember to smile and enjoy making new friends
Tabitha, going in to Year 4, says that the most important thing is to just be yourself. Don't try to be someone that you're not, just be you!
Sonny, also starting Year 4, says that even though you will have a lot of fun in school, you shouldn't be silly. Always try your best and keep up the good work!
Zac, starting Year 5 suggests that you always double check your bag before you leave for school in the morning, to make sure that you have everything that you need. Some days you have PE, or there might be a House day or Sports day, or you have homework that you need to hand in.
Karyn, a DCIS parent in her ninth year, advises new parents to attend the coffee mornings organised for each year group and to get involved in the parent association DCA. DCA will host their Welcome Picnic 31st August between 4.00pm and 7.00pm, it is always a lovely event and a good way to meet new and returning families.
We can't wait to see all students next week!