The IB Diploma is one of the most respected and recognised educational programmes in the world. Not only does it prepare students academically for university entrance, this holistic high school programme allows for extensive personal development as well.
The IB Diploma is a two-year programme undertaken by students in our Sixth Form College (Years 12 and 13) at The British School of Beijing, Shunyi.
Students need to display the attributes of the IB Learner Profile and International Mindfulness in order to successfully complete the components of the diploma programme.
Components of the IB Diploma Programme
The areas of study are:
- Theory of Knowledge (ToK)
- Extended Essay (EE)
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS)
- Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Group 4: Sciences
- Group 5: Mathematics
- Group 6: The Arts + Options
Students must study one subject from each group.
- Three subjects are studied at Standard Level (150 hours of instruction for each subject)
- Three subjects are studied at Higher Level (240 hours of instruction for each subject)
Requirements for successful completion of the IB Diploma
The maximum point score is 45.
The minimum point score to pass is 24.
Students must achieve:
- Grade D or above for Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay
- "YES" for Creativity, Action, Service
- A minimum of 12 points for subjects studied at the Higher Level
- A minimum of 9 points for subjects studies at the Standard Level
Requirements for the Theory of Knowledge
- 100 hours of instruction
- Essay (1,600 words) which counts for 67% of the grade
- Presentation (10-minutes duration) which counts for 33% of the grade
- Marks combined to form a grade from A to E
- Topic and subject of the student's choosing
- Teachers act as supervisors
Requirements for the Extended Essay
- A 4,000-word essay on a topic of the student's choosing within an IB subject
- Teachers supervise and students attend a dedicated lesson each week with the Extended Essay Coordinator
- Graded on 11 criteria for a mark out of 36, which then equates to a grade from A to E
Requirements for Creativity, Acitivity, Service (CAS)
- Time split evenly between each strand - Creativity, Activity, Service
- Students to participate in extracurricular activities, develop new skills and participate in community service
- A student's CAS portfolio is developed with the CAS Coordinator
- Seven learning outcomes must be shown to be met
- There are no grades in CAS, but a "NO" means the Diploma will not be awarded
Requirements for the IB Subjects
The list presented here shows the subjects offered in the six IB option blocks at our Shunyi high school. Students must study one subject from each block, with three at Standard Level and three at Higher Level.
Please note that the blocks below are subject to change depending on demand and students’ individual requirements.
English A: Language and Literature
Chinese A: Language & Literature
German A: Language & Literature
Korean A: Literature
French ab initio (SL only)
Mandarin ab initio (SL only)
Spanish ab initio (SL only)
Individuals and Societies
Design and Technology
Sports, Exercise and Health Studies
The Arts or Optional Subjects
IB Diploma Curriculum Guide
You can also download our IB Diploma Curriculum Guide below, which further explains the components of the IB Diploma and the expectations for students completing the programme.
Our IB Diploma graduate programme is overseen by our experienced IB Diploma Leadership Team. Please contact them directly to ask further questions about the programme.
IB Coordinator - Ms Jennifer Upsall
To visit our private high school in Beijing and see our excellent facilities and learning environment for Year 12 and 13 students, please contact our friendly Admissions team.
Our IB Diploma Curriculum Guide