Aims and Ethos
The British International School of Chicago is dedicated to building and maintaining a supportive and inclusive culture that values and promotes diversity and attempts to eliminate all forms of discrimination. We strive to create an environment that celebrates and safeguards individual identity and provides equal access to opportunities at all levels. This commitment is designed to foster a sense of security and belonging for all members of our community – staff, students, and their families.
Core values, which include respect, courage, integrity, and empathy, are essential for appreciating our international community and the diverse city in which we live. We encourage the adoption of attitudes and beliefs that foster safety and wellbeing for all members of society and will lead to a more just and peaceful world. We do this by:
- Appreciating the diversity in heritage, language, and culture within our community
- Embracing opportunities for learning about historical events of cultural significance
- Raising awareness of issues around current and former inequalities to promote understanding of bias.
- Using materials that reflect a range of social and cultural identities, without stereotyping.
- Encouraging understanding about how our words and actions impact others.
- Providing opportunities for advocacy, and active engagement in a diverse society.
- We explore opportunities to celebrate all achievements.
Our commitment to inclusive education means that we provide effective learning opportunities and suitable challenges for all students. In valuing their different talents, learning styles, background, and culture, we identify potential barriers to learning, accommodating these within responsive, high-quality teaching. Our approach to academic achievement is without limits for all children.
Partnerships and Collaboration
Diversity of thought is valued within our school community, and we appreciate the role this plays in understanding the sometimes complex issues in our rapidly changing society. To this end, we collaborate with parents, students, and faculty to explore these topics, always seeking new ways to support and help all to thrive.
At BISC, our overarching vision is that every member of our community is respected, that they feel heard and included and that they have equitable opportunities to make a unique contribution to the school community.
We strive to establish a diverse school faculty, which Is representative of the student body and our city. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and identities, for teaching and other positions that may arise.