It's always interesting moving to a new area or country with adaptations asked of you almost immediately. For me, one of those adaptations is changing the way I exercise. Keeping fit is a huge part of my life and something I do on a regular basis. One of the first things I did on arrival to Pattaya was to find some interesting workout options.
The best element of working out in Thailand is the heat, so ditch the air conditioning and triple your workout in the humidity. Here are my top five picks...
- The Beach Road stretch - Between 5:30 - 6:30pm the Beach Road promenade quietens down as the day to day activity heads home and the evening party goers get ready for the night life. A run up and down the famous Beach Road is very enjoyable. You are sure to be joined by many other runners.
- Beach Sprints - Head to the beach, which is ideal for some serious resistance training – sprints, crawls, runs. It's harder than it sounds.
- Hill Sprints - Pratumnak Hill is a real challenge. Hill sprints burn the calories and these workouts are intensified with training in the heat. There are lamp posts all the way up and these are perfect for interval sprints. Once you climb to the top there is an outdoors gym for you to lift some heavy concrete - this one is my favourites!
- Get on the road - Road Biking is fun, burns calories and is great to improve your base cardiovascular fitness. Travel five minutes East outside of Pattaya and you find some great roads for biking. It is also an enjoyable way to find new areas of Pattaya.
- If all else fails – go the gym. There are lots of good quality gyms in and around Pattaya for varying prices. The big hotels offer expensive but well equipped gyms, however search around and you'll find some awesome local ones. Join a Muay Thai gym and get a really challenging workout.