In the first three years of Secondary School, students continue to follow the English National Curriculum in order to build on and consolidate the skills and knowledge which they have learnt in the Primary School, in preparation for the demands of the GCSE course which follows afterwards.
- Students study a wide range of core subjects: English (or English as a Second Language), Mathematics, Science, a modern foreign language (Spanish, Mandarin, French or Thai), Art, Design and Technology, Drama, Geography, History, ICT, Music, Physical Education (PE), and Personal and Social Education.
- They participate in two periods of Enrichment per week. These Enrichment lessons provide students with the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to topics beyond the formal syllabus
- Students are placed in ability sets for English (or English as a Second Language), Mathematics, Science and Literacy. All other subjects are taught in mixed ability Tutor Groups.
- Thai nationals must do Thai Language, with all other students studying French or Spanish, plus one period of Thai for Foreigners.
- Teachers decide what Level a student is working at by using a variety of assessment methods and techniques, including formal testing and examinations.
Benefits to Our Students
- The curriculum for Year 7, 8 and 9 has been designed by each subject area to adequately prepare students for the demands of GCSE. Assessment criteria and teaching content have been carefully mapped to ensure that students know, understand and are able to perform the key skills by the end of Key Stage 3 which will enable them to achieve outstanding GCSE grades. Students work towards achieving 20 key criteria in each subject, allowing teachers to offer personalised and specific feedback on how they can further improve their performance.
- Students receive an excellent foundation in a very wide range of subjects, which allows them to make informed decisions in Year 9 about which subjects they would then like to study at GCSE level in Year 10.
Arthur Moore, Head of Year 7.
Heather Thexton, Head of Year 8.
Joanne Felts, Head of Year 9.
Documents for Download