THE KEY TO KEEPING YOUR CHILD HEALTHY
Like adults, kids need exercise. Most children need at least an hour of physical activity every day. As kids spend more time watching TV, they spend less time running and playing.
Habits established in childhood often stay with people throughout their lives. If for no other reason than this, parents owe it to their children to help them develop healthy routines and active lifestyles. Studies show that overweight, inactive kids are likely to remain overweight as adults, with the weight problem often worsening over time. Carrying extra weight puts kids at risk for a number of health problems, including hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease, diabetes, and even some types of cancer. Parents offer their children enormous gifts when they teach them to love sports and other physical activities, starting them on paths to healthier lives.
8 reasons why Physical Activity is important for your child:
- It is a link to your child's good health and maintains physical fitness.
- Development of your child's fine and gross motor skills.
- Promotes academic learning
- Builds self esteem
- PE develops cooperation, teamwork and sportsmanship skill.
- PE promotes a physically active lifestyle in adulthood
- PE is a stress buster and source of enjoyment
- Development of Lifetime Skills and Activities
How can I help my child to be more physically active?
- Lead by example If you incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, invite your child to tag along.
- Find a fun activity. Help your child find a sport that she enjoys. The more she enjoys the activity, the more likely it is that she will continue.
- Cross-Curricular Activities (CCA). Encourage your child to enroll in a physically active based Cross Curricular Activities (CCA) here at school.
- Exercise as a family - go bike riding, ice-skating, even roller skating or a walk.
- Turn off that TV. Limit your child's television and computer time.
There is a powerful relationship between childhood obesity and lifelong weight and related medical problems. Exercise along with a balanced diet provides the foundation for a healthy, active life. One of the most important things parents can do is encourage healthy habits in their children early on in life. It is not too late to start. Ask your pediatrician about tools for healthy living today. (www.healthychildren.org)
Sports activity providers in Shanghai:
Online magazine guides to fun physical activities in Shanghai
www.cityweekend.com - click directory and then sports
www.urbananatomy.com - click community