Pleased to Meet You...Mayke van Krevel
08 January 2014
This week we are pleased to meet Mayke Van Krevel: Head of the Shanghai Dutch School at BISS Puxi.
- How long have you been at BISS Puxi? I started at BISS Puxi in 2012 when the Shanghai Dutch School was set up here.
- What do you enjoy most about working here? I love that this school is so friendly and sets high standards to get the best out of both its students and its teachers. One of our aims at the Shanghai Dutch School, and at BISS Puxi in general, is to make sure that our students feel at home and happy, so I always try to forge good relationships with my students, organise Dutch cultural events and help new students to find their way in school and introduce them to possible friends. The Belgian / Dutch community is very strong here and parents are supportive and always there when we need some help. All of this makes me go to work every day with a big smile.
- Who is your favourite Dutch novelist? Arnon Grunberg, a Dutch writer who can tell a whole story in just a few words, amazing.
- What's your favourite place in Shanghai to visit with your family? Definitely Yi-cafe in Pudong, this restaurant at the Shangri La offers the best brunch in town. Brunch with friends is a great way to spend your Sundays! Pricey though, so we also enjoy strolling in the French Concession and grabbing some street food - a much cheaper option!
- What do you miss most about the Netherlands? After more than 6 years living in Shanghai, I miss my family the most. My dad had 11 siblings so I have a lot of family.