Pleased To Meet You...Aniket Gocoldas
12 February 2014
This week we are 'Pleased to Meet' Aniket Gocoldas, Head of Business Studies and Economics.
- How long have you been teaching and how long have you been at BISS Puxi? I’ve been teaching since April 2004, when I started at an independent boys’ school in Hertfordshire. I arrived at BISS Puxi just this Summer, via a 6 year stint at another independent school, this one in North London.
- What do you enjoy about teaching Economics and Business Studies? I love the scope that the subjects give for discussion and debate. It is great to teach subjects where there are often no wrong answers – pupils can freely argue their opinions with each other, and with me. The subject encourages independent thinking and an ability to weigh up arguments – qualities that are absolutely vital that we develop in our pupils. It is also great to teach a subject that is so topical and that allows us to pull in stories that are on the front pages of newspapers on a daily basis.
- What do you like about teaching at an International School? It is enormous fun meeting people from all over the world. To have so many different perspectives and cultures in one classroom makes for some fascinating classroom experiences.
- Who is your favourite economist and why? I’ve really enjoyed the more recent fashion for behavioural economics. Writers such as Tim Harford and Dan Ariely, as well as the more famous Freakonomists (Levitt and Dubner) have broken new ground in this field. Their work is genuinely interesting and accessible, whether you are a student of Economics or not!
- What has been your favourite thing about living in China so far? Having moved from London, I am used to big cities! However, the opportunities that Shanghai offers are fantastic: great restaurants, concerts, culture, travel opportunities, shopping. There is a real buzz about the city.