Pleased To Meet You...Justin Lenderking
20 March 2014
This week we spoke to Justin Lenderking, Head of Drama, who is having a very busy week with The Crucible running Monday to Friday.
- How long have you been at BISS Puxi? I have been at BISS Puxi for almost three years.
- What do you enjoy most about working at our school? The students, the students, the students. I am constantly surprised by their intelligence, diligence and resilience. It's great to watch them struggle, adapt and succeed. I also enjoy the fact that they've got strong personalities; a good bit of banter builds character.
- What is your favourite play to teach in Drama? I think it depends on which age group - I really do enjoy teaching Shakespeare, especially when the text suddenly opens up for students and they see how much of it comments on their own lives.
With older students, any play that challenges their notions about the world (and the people in it). If I had to pick a single play, though, I'd be hard pressed - Martin McDonagh's Pillowman comes to mind, but in 5 minutes I'd probably give you a different answer.
- What’s your favourite thing to do in Shanghai? I think my favourite part of Shanghai is the sheer range of experience - cities like this always attract such a variety of people, nationally and internationally, and that makes it an exciting place. There are also lots of good restaurants, for which my growing belly is grateful!
- Where are you from and what do you miss most about home? I moved around a lot when I was young - my father worked for the US Foreign Service so we were usually overseas. That said, I more or less come from Washington, DC, even though I only lived there for about 6 years total. More than anything else, I miss my family. I have two nephews (pillow fight champions!) and a niece that I wish I could see more often.