Pleased To Meet You...Chris Baker
15 April 2014
This week we spoke to Chris Baker, Biology and ESS teacher, who has also just led the girls’ 7 a side football team to victory in this weekend’s ACAMIS tournament in Beijing.
- How long have you been at BISS Puxi and where were you teaching before? I have been at BISS Puxi since August. I was in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, before coming here.
- What do you enjoy most about coaching the girls' 7-a-side football team? Of course I like to watch the girls win games but more than that I enjoy seeing the progress made by individual players and the team as a whole.
- What’s your favourite restaurant in Shanghai? Mr Harry, the British restaurant. I go there when I'm craving home comforts!
- Do you have a favourite scientist and why? My favourite scientist is Alfred Russell Wallace. Wallace came up with the theory of evolution by natural selection at the same time as Darwin, possibly even before. He had no formal training or personal wealth (unlike Darwin) but achieved great success from his intellect and bravery.
- Where have you most enjoyed travelling to since living in Shanghai? I enjoyed going to Huangtan reservoir to birdwatch during the April break. I saw a bird I've wanted to spot for a few years there, a sub-species of black bulbul.
- Where are you from and what do you miss most about home? I'm from Liverpool in the UK. I miss going to football matches (Everton and Marine FC) with my Dad.