They had a special visit from Health & Wellness coach and Food Educator Kimberly Ashton of Sprout Lifestyle. This included a discussion on ‘What is healthy food?’ and an opportunity to make and taste a super-food salad and sunflower seed cacao energy balls.
During the workshop the students looked at:
- What is healthy food?
- What is real food (fresh, seasonal, whole foods)?
- The link between growing your food & nature
- The importance of whole grains, beans, good quality protein, vegetables, fruits, nuts & seeds
- Food groups & healthy alternatives
- Cooking demo: brown & black rice with condiments, super food salads (make your own) & sunflower seed cacao energy balls (make your own)
The event was to launch the Year 6 Term 3 topic ‘Healthy Living’. This will include more exciting experiences in the kitchen this term to create nutritional meals and snacks and how to maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
Each class took part in a 45 minute workshop and for the rest of the day students created a presentation of what it means to have a 'healthy lifestyle'.
- Shaun Rhodes, Year 6 Leader