1) What do you love most about teaching Mandarin?
I enjoy being in a classroom, being with students and being able to see their progress every day.
2) What is your educational background, both academically and career wise?
I graduated from East China Normal University with a Master’s degree on Teaching Chinese to Foreign Language Speakers. After that I’ve worked two years for Northwest Arkansas Education Service Coop where I delivered different Chinese language and culture lessons to more than eight public schools in Northwest Arkansas, USA, where I also gained my Non-Traditional KS-12 teaching license as a Mandarin teacher. This is now my fourth year at BISS Puxi and during these years, I’ve been teaching both primary and secondary Chinese classes, from KS2 to IB.
3) What has been the most memorable experience to date in your career?
So far, I’d say it will be when I first got teaching experience for CIEE Shanghai as a graduate student in 2008.
And now for some light-hearted questions
4) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I’d live in Paris as I have visited there before and found it very relaxing.
5) If you could get a Selfie with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
Johnny Depp as I’d really like to have a real conversation with him haha.
6) If you weren’t a teacher, what alternative career path do you think you would have taken and why?
I’d be a writer as I’ve always wanted to write short/long stories about the people I meet in my life.
7) If you could choose one actress to star as you in a film, who would you choose and why?
I would choose myself. Why? Because I don’t think there’s no one that knows me more than me. And I’ll make a good actress!
8) What’s your favourite restaurant in Shanghai?
I love many restaurants. Recently my favourite is Lost Heaven at the Bund.
9) What 3 things could you not live without in Shanghai?
Metro, bike and noise.
10) Have you got anything exciting planned for the summer break?
I’m flying to Italy and Greece, again!
Thank you for your time Ms Xie. Who will be in the Getting to Know You spotlight next week?
Ryan Kealey, Marketing and Events Manager