I would strongly encourage you to follow the trip on the website or Wechat which also includes some great photos of the Year 12s in action with children from the Indo-China Starfish Foundation schools. At the time of writing, our students have painted the ISF school, have run team-building activities for the ISF youth club, did some teaching and still had time for a cultural visit to the Royal Palace.
You might expect that with Year 12 students in Cambodia and Year 13 students having finished their courses, the IB Academy would be a rather sad and lonely place. Far from it! This week we have had our Year 11 students undergoing their Orientation Programme and they have engaged enthusiastically in the various sessions ranging from CAS, TOK, thinking skills, Higher Education, Languages and Science.
As we look forward to the final week of term (and a well-deserved break for both students and staff), we end the term with the Year 12 TOK presentations. These will take place on Wednesday and Thursday and are the first of two components to their TOK final assessment, the other being the essay in Year 13.
Andrew Joy, Head of IB Academy
Making the most of the Summer Holidays
In order to get a head start for next year, current Year 12 students should be doing the following over the summer holidays:
• Research/Compile a Long-list of universities/university courses
• Identify Entry Requirements for chosen courses
• Draft Personal Statement/College Essays
• Complete Self Assessment Form (will be given out via tutors & email)
• Develop your interest/subject knowledge (see detailed post on Managebac)
• Sign up to UCAS/Common App as necessary (guides available on Managebac)
• Practice/prepare for any necessary admissions tests (e.g. SAT/ACT/LNAT/BMAT/UKCAT)
As well as preparing for the next academic year, I hope that students will be able to relax and re-charge their batteries. I look forward to working with you all next year!
Mark Weston, Higher Education Advisor
Coursework and examinations
As students have been showing their attribute of caring this week in Cambodia, I want to take this time to write some guidance on how to prepare for an efficient summer. We want students to be prepared in the summer holidays for the work they need to complete. Students should make the most of these last few chances to clarify any problems they have with any of the work they need to complete over the summer.
IB Diploma Programme Deadlines
With one week left of the year 12 for students it is important that everyone considers carefully the following pieces of work:
- Extended Essay; students should meet with their supervisor one last time to make sure that they are very sure about the structure of their essay that they will be writing over the summer
- Maths Exploration/Project; students should make sure their proposal is agreed by their teacher so, like the Extended Essay, they know what they are going to write about or research over the summer
- TOK presentation; this will be completed in the last week and it is imperative that students have their forms ready to explain what they will be delivering.
Students should also be reflective in this final week. Other subjects apart from the above will need some focus over the summer and will indeed set holiday homework. We want students to have everything in place so they can sit down and start their work when they want. We don’t want students to be spending time clarifying their Extended Essay title or the Maths they will use for the exploration. Now is the time for action!
Thomas Housham, IB Diploma Coordinator