Dragon Boat Festival Holiday: School will be closed on Thursday 9 June.
- Transition to Year 1: Thank you to all those who were able to attend the Transition Meeting last week. We hope we answered your questions and please do email if you have any further questions or queries. From Monday the Reception Cubs will line up outside alongside the Y1 children before coming into school. They have practised this and are excited to be joining in with the older children to get them ready for next year.
- The Reception classes have been invited on a return visit to our local Chinese Zhudi Centre Kindergarten. Snack and lunch time will be as normal and students will be required to wear uniform as normal on the day. The classes will visit on different days this week:
- Leopards Monday 6 June
- Bears and Pandas Tuesday 7June
- Raccoons and Cheetahs Wednesday 8 June
- With the changeable weather we are having please make sure your child has a named light weight coat to wear outside when its cooler or wet and a sun hat for when it gets hot! We do try to get outside every day. Please also spray your child with mosquito repellent or have them wear a band to school.
- Thank you: All the teachers say a huge “thank you” to all of you for our brunch invitation. We look forward to enjoying it this Sunday.
- BISCAP/BISS Lions Swimming/ECAs – Term 3 last week will be 13 June.
Our Big Question: Why are plants important?
This week we will continue to make observations of the seeds we planted and record in our diary any changes we notice day by day. We will also focus on labeling our pictures. We will be talking about why plants are important for our environment and how plants and insects help each other.
Vocabulary: flower, plant, roots, leaf, insect, wing, body.
- To use phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match spoken sounds.
- To write some irregular common words.
- To write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others.
Because of our trips to Zhudi Kindergarten we will not be having our usual phonics sessions this week. We will continue to support the children’s phonics work by daily sessions in class, focusing on key words (high-frequency) and tricky words.
Maths: Shape, Space and Measures
The children will be measuring this week. We will look at small measurements as we watch our seeds grow and also compare plants by measuring their height and the length of their roots. We will be exploring measurement in practical fun ways.
Key Vocabulary: measure, length, height, how tall, how long, low, short and comparative words: long, longer than, and longest.
- To use everyday language to talk about size to compare objects and to solve problems.
Understanding the World - The World
This week we will monitor our experiments to see what has happened- or not! Will the seeds we placed in the dark and cold places have grown?
We will also be using magnifying glasses to help us look very closely at plants and insects and make observational drawings of them.
Key Vocabulary: investigation, scientist, seed, growth, change, soil, water, sunlight, healthy, roots, stem, leaf, flower, look closely, magnifying glass.
- To know about similarities and differences in relation to living things.
- To talk about the features of their own immediate environment and how environments might vary from one another.
- To make observations of plants and explain why some things occur, and talk about changes.
Next week, we will learn about plants and focus on the life cycle of the sunflower. Children will be asked to learn how to name the different part s of a sunflower. We will share a story which is called ‘彩虹色的花（cai hong se de hua）.
Key Vocabulary: flower 花（hua） seed 种子（zhong zi） plant 植物 (zhi wu) sprout 发芽（fa ya）
De kinderen van groep 1 zijn bijna rond met hun onderzoek naar de binnenkant van ons lichaam. We zetten onze onderzoeksbril weer op en maken we Charlotte’s lichaam compleet.
De letter van de week is de ‘oo’. Welke lichaamsdelen beginnen met ‘oo’? Kan jij dingen in de klas vinden met ‘ oo’?
Ook deze week werken de kleuters verder aan de Cito-toetsen.