A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 4 and are looking forward enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first two weeks, homework is optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- Monday 31 August – Meet the Teacher Session.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Literacy and Maths Workshop on Tuesday 8 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- ECA and BISCAP registration closes on Friday 28 August and confirmation letters will be sent out during the week beginning 7 September. Both programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- BISS Uniform Sale - Wednesday 2 September 2:30-5pm The Gallery (Primary)
Parents have the chance to buy quality “used” BISS uniform at another of our Recycle Sales. All items are in good condition and can be bought for the bargain price of 5 rmb per item. All proceeds will be donated to one of our school charity projects. Bring change and your own bag!
- Uniform Collection - We are sure that most families have several items of unwanted BISS uniform at home that you would be happy to get rid of; perhaps your children have outgrown them, have moved up to Secondary, or are moving school. Please donate these items to our Uniform Sale! All items can be dropped into the collection boxes at Primary and Secondary Reception areas throughout this and next week.All items need to be clean and in good condition.
In Literacy this week, the children will be discussing different types of poetry. They will be learning about rhyme, alliteration and onomatopoeia, simile and metaphor. They will begin to consider creating poems about inventions.
The children will be consolidating their mental calculation skills by using the inverse to solve a wide range of problems and puzzles. They will be required to work quickly and accurately, using all four operations and knowledge of tables facts up to 12 times 12. The focus will be on explaining patterns and how a solution can be found. Some children will be able to generalise their findings, describing connections and they will be able to predict what will happen when very large numbers are used in similar situations.
The children will be developing their understanding of inventions by looking at the designs of Leonardo Da Vinci’s helicopter. They will conduct experiments to see how a spinner’s flight can be improved with surface area.
The children will be focusing, as a year group and in individual classes on fostering new relationships, creating rules and the expectations in Year 4. The children will be involved in making the school a safe and happy place for everyone.
Literacy – poem, alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme, simile, metaphor
Maths –multiply, product, divide, add, subtract, inverse, difference, total, sum, relationship
Themed Learning – experiment, fair test, variable, precision, surface area
De Nederlandse klas is weer gereed gemaakt voor een flitsend schooljaar. In de klas hangt een brief. De brief is voor de koning. Wie weet wat erin staat?