- Year 1 End of Year Celebration - Our End of Year Celebration will take place on Tuesday 20th July. Children can come to school dressed in their party clothes. Parents are also welcome to join us from 2pm- 3:15pm. This will take place along the Year 1 coridoor.
- There are no ECA’s or BISCAP this week. Children will either go home by bus or be picked up. Please contact your child’s class teacher is arangements have changed.
- Healthy Snacks - Please ensure that your child’s daily snack is a healthy one.
- Warm Weather - Now the weather is getting warmer, please could you encourage your child to bring in a hat and also a water bottle so that they remain well hydrated during the day.
- Reuse, Reduce, Recycle: Second Hand Uniform Sale- It is that time of the year again when many families are preparing to move away from Shanghai and on to new adventures! Or perhaps your child has simply outgrown their current tops and bottoms. Please consider donating all your unneeded BISS Puxi uniforms to the Second Hand Uniform Sale. All items can be dropped at the Primary or Secondary reception desks until the end of the school year. All items need to be clean and in good condition, thanks for your support. The next Second Hand Uniform Sale will take place at the start of the new school year. So please come and restock your children's uniforms at the sale in beginning of September. If you would like to work on the Second Hand Uniform Sale project, please email Tracy at email@example.com. It only involves 4 afternoons over the course of the school year and all proceeds go to charity.
In Literacy, children will be continuing to learn how to compose and write questions using the question words: who, why, where, when and what? They will learn to identify the difference between a statement and a question and learn when to use a question mark. Some children will also learn when to punctuate sentences with exclamation marks. They will focus on asking Scientific questions linked to Science Week.
Question, who, why, where, when, what, question mark, sentence, statement, punctuation, exclamation mark.
The children will use their Mathematical knowledge to help them when carrying out different Science Investigations.
THEMED LEARNING- SCIENCE WEEK!
During Science Week, we will performing two in depth experiments and a number of smaller fun activities. We will be using pipe cleaners and Borax solution to make bouquets of flowers covered in miniature crystals. For one of our main investigations we will be using aluminium foil to create our own boats and then investigate how different shapes can effect their ability to carry weight. Additionally, we will be creating our own parachutes for action figures and then investigating what happens when we change aspects of the parachutes - size, materials and shape.
Gravity, air resistance, materials, paper, plastic, aluminium, crystals, solutions, method, experiments, conclusions, results, analysis
Over the next two weeks, all of the children in Year 1 will be reviewing the sounds and thetricky words, which they have learned this year. They will practice reading, spelling and writing them.
COMPUTING AND DIGITAL LITERACY
We have now reached the final few weeks of term. Across the next few ICT sessions the children will re-visit some of the Microsoft Software that they have been taught, alongside Espresso Coding and the interactive areas of Espresso. The children will be able to refine previously taught skills. Specifically the children will look at the learning zones for Science during Science Week and Mental Maths.
This week we will introduce children a story of chopsticks and some relatated activities.
Mandarin Y1 MNDCN
De kinderen van year 1 gaan deze week samen met Freek Vonk op zoek naar wilde dieren in Afrika. We lezen over leeuwen, giraffen en jachtluipaarden en bundelen onze onderzoeksresultaten in een dierenpaspoort.