The Giving Tree is an annual project that we run in conjunction with the Shanghai Community Centre, and which our school has been taking part in for the past six years. We work together to provide bags full of warm clothes and school supplies to children in need in China. These children attend Migrant schools and belong to families who have moved to Shanghai to find better paying work.
Our work with the Giving Tree sees our students and families giving personalised gifts to these children through the bag that they fill with thought and care. Each bag is destined for a specific child and includes information such as name, gender, age, height, favourite colour, hobbies and interests, so that the family can really personalise their bag for the individual child.
This year The Giving Tree project is a student-led initiative for the secondary school, run by the Year 12 CAS students. They are hoping to fill 300 bags by the 12 November and will be sending a team, made up of student representatives from each year group, to Fu Hang Migrant school to hand out the bags personally on Friday 29 November.
What can I do to help?
It’s easy to get involved. You can either:
- Fill a bag. Bring in 125RMB for an empty bag and fill it with a hat, scarf and gloves, a toy and an educational book. The 125RMB will go towards filling the bag with a jacket, stationary set and a book bag.
- Donate 250RMB for a bag to be filled on your behalf.
The CAS students are also hosting a Sorting Party on Friday 15 November after school to go through all the bags and ensure that each has its proper contents. If you would like to be involved in this, please email Ms Coong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Migrant children we donate these bags to are always really grateful and it is wonderful to see the effect the collective effort of the BISS Puxi community can have on their lives.
Migrant School Facts
- Average School Size 1000 / Class size: 50-70
- No Heat / cooling in classrooms
- From: All over china, mainly Anhuai, Sichuan & Hunan
- Why?: To find better paying work
- Clothing: 1-2 sets washed by hand’
- Salary: 1000-2500rmb a month per family (usually in factories, farming or construction industries)