We want all children to have time to form a relationship with their teacher and learning assistants before they are left at nursery without family members. To this end ‘settling in’ happens gradually over a period of one or two weeks, depending on the child’s age and the family’s circumstances. During this time your child’s teacher works very closely with you to slowly extend the time the child spends at nursery without a parent or carer.
Please see below a settling schedule which is a guide and can be adapted daily depending on how well your child is settling. At the end of each session you will be able to discuss with the teacher the plan for the following day. For younger children this schedule can be extended with lunch and sleep routines introduced during the second week.
- Day 1 - Child and parent/carer visit the nursery 1½ hours. Both carer and child stay and play in the nursery (Day 1 can be repeated if parent requests)
- Day 2 – Child and parent/carer visit the nursery 1½ hours, they both stay and play for 1 hour and then parent leaves for the last ½ hour, on returning takes child home
- Day 3 – Child and parent visit nursery for 2 hours, parent stays for ½ hour then leaves returning at 11:00 to collect child
- Day 4 - Parent/carer drops child to nursery at 8:25, after child is settled at an activity parent leaves and returns at 12:15 (child stays for lunch)
- Day 5 – Parent/carer drops child to nursery at 8:25 and leaves once child is settled, returning at the end of the day to collect (P/T 12:45, F/T 15:30)
Please see below some information that will help you and your child prepare for your first week in Early Years Cubs.
Please bring along:
- A daily healthy snack for your child (the school will also provide a snack)
- A water bottle (labelled with your child’s name)
- If your child is wearing nappies please bring some to be kept in their cubby
- Change of clothes (to be kept in their cubby)
- Swimming kit (for children who are toilet-trained)
Tapestry: Online Learning Journal
All children attending BISS Early Years Cubs will have a personal on-line Learning Journal, documenting their experiences and development during their time with us. By logging on with a secure username and password you will be able to view photographs, observations and videos of your child. You will even receive an email telling you when a new observation or piece of work is available for you to view. This will enable you to follow your child’s individual progress closely and allow you to talk with your child about their achievements and experiences. Access is easy and you will be able to view their online journals in school, at home and when visiting family and friends around the world.
In order for your child’s Learning Journal to be created, please complete the order form below providing the e-mail address you would like us to use when setting up your account. It will be via this email address that you will have access to your child’s work.