Staff and students alike will take part in Green Week competing for house points and also learning about sustainability issues and our effect on school community and the rest of the world. Green week is a key learning opportunity for our students as they will begin to recognize that the world is not an endless resource and the impacts and choices we make today will affect our future and that of others.
For example; did you know?
- By 2030 it is estimated that Abu Dhabi will have exhausted it’s groundwater supplies
- The UAE is often thought of as a simple barren ecosystem with little biodiversity when actually it is home to 450 types of bird, 678 types of plant and 54 mammals to mention just a few!
- Using compact fluorescent lights consume 40% less energy and therefore is a greener way to make your electricity.
Along with the numerous activities the children will be undertaking in their classes, there will be a host of other events taking place too. These include:
- Climate cops – Classes will be given a set of rules for being more environmentally friendly in their classes. Should these rules not be followed when the climate cops descend then you will be awarded an amber or red rating depending upon the level of your misdemeanours!
- Weigh your waste – We will find out who are the biggest wasters – the boys or the girls? Any waste during lunchtime will be collected and weighed each day with the winners being rewarded at the end of the week.
Sunday 26th October – Green dress-up day. All children are encouraged to come to school dressed in green from head to toe! This will raise awareness of the week that lies ahead and lead nicely in to what it means to be green!
TBC– Each year group will take part in a house-related competition. More details to follow in your weekly letters! Children will be required to come to school in house colours on the chosen day.
Thursday 30th October - (FS2, Y1 & 2 and Y5 & Y6) – BIS Abu Dhabi ‘Trashion show’ will be hitting the Y1 & 2 assembly at 8:00 a.m. with the Y5 & Y6 parade later that day at 2:00 p.m. The FS2 parade will take place at 8am. Those entering will be displaying the latest line of recycled clothing with accessories aplenty!
Tuesday 28th October – This date will be FS1’s turn to host their ‘Trashion show’ in the FS1 outdoor area at 8am.
During green week students will be completing their normal school lessons as we are aware that this is imperative to their understanding of curriculum and reaching their personal goals. They are simply going to continue their learning with a ‘green theme’ created by staff in all departments of the school. Some students will also be responsible for completing an audit of our school through taking part in fun fieldwork activities through the week.
- Thursday 30th October: All students in the secondary school will take part in a green theme day aimed at raising awareness regarding our school’s issues and also to gain house points for their team. Students this day should attend school in their house colours.
- Sunday 2nd November: Parents and students are invited to see the results of our theme day through our morning assembly commencing at 8:00am and finishing at 8:45. During this assembly we will showcase the activities of the week and show students the outcomes of their theme day efforts, presenting certificates for the most green student and staff, housepoints for Thursday’s winning theme teams and IB learner profile certificates for students with outstanding efforts during the week. We hope you can join us!
The theme of going green will not stop there – once we have looked at all of the information we collect this week students will then be looking at making changes through their future learning to learn sessions. This will involve them putting together house team campaigns, presenting ideas and keeping the green theme alive!