During the week leading up to the event, we dedicated time to reflecting on peace in class. From Nursery to Year 13, our students contemplated peace in a ton of creative ways:
- In Music classes, students listened to songs with a wide range of perspectives on peace. Students in Year 9 also learned the lyrics to songs about peace and then put on a performance for children in the Primary School.
- In English, we read and discussed poetry.
- Students also engaged in conversations about peace in their Spanish, Mandarin, French and German classes.
- In Years 12-13, students discussed complex issues involving peace in their Theory of Knowledge lessons.
- Geography students analyzed the effect of peace and war around the world.
Teachers and students documented the week through photos and video (you can see some of them on Twitter—check out @MusicatBISC and @BISCSouthLoop). Then, our Year 11 Media Team compiled everything into the video above. You can also click here to watch it.
To culminate a week of thoughtful reflection, the whole school came together on September 21 for a photo on the soccer pitch, and our choirs sang throughout the day.
One Day One Choir is proud of our efforts and wrote to us, “We love what you did in school and that you spent so much time on it during the week. That's the whole point really, to engage children with music and what also matters…peace!”