“As the new Principal at BIS HCMC it is with great excitement that I acknowledge this outstanding set of results. Often we analyse the figures without taking into account the hard work, commitment and creativity given by our students to achieve such phenomenal outcomes. Complementing this achievement is the comprehensive, effective and caring support network that BIS teachers provide to every individual student going through this challenging programme. Additionally, we must not forget the pride that our parents are currently feeling at this key point of their children’s lives. My sincere congratulations to the BIS HCMC community.” Anthony Rowlands, Principal BIS HCMC.
About the IB Diploma
The IB Diploma Programme is an internationally recognised qualification for admission into higher education. This intensive programme not only provides the academic knowledge and skills required for further education but offers our students the opportunity for personal growth to become responsible members of their communities.
“Independent research confirms that the IB improves students’ academic achievement, as well as their probability of high school graduation and college enrolment, and it is clear that our students are better prepared to succeed in post-secondary settings”. Dr Siva Kumari, IB Director General.
Each student undertaking the full IB diploma will study 6 individual subjects with a maximum of 7 points awarded in each, as well as 3 core requirements. A full IB Diploma is awarded for those students who achieve 24 points or more up to a maximum of 45 points.
2017 IB Results Highlights
Our 2017 IBDP results showcase a number of impressive statistics for our cohort, both as a group and also on an individual level:
- BIS HCMC students achieved a 100% pass rate. This achievement is particularly remarkable as we hold an inclusive admissions policy to the IBDP based on the belief that there is no limit to what every student can achieve.
- 5 of our students scored an almost perfect score of 44 points out of a possible 45 putting them in the top 1% of students worldwide.
- Our students' average score in the IB Diploma was 36.2, significantly ahead of the 2017 global average of 29.9 points.
- 28.6% of our students achieved 40 points or more. This level of attainment provides our students with the opportunity to gain admission into the world's elite universities, including Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard and Stanford.
- BIS HCMC students passed the IBDP with an average grade of 5.70 per subject compared to the average global grade of 4.70.
- Our students received 178 university offers with scholarships worth a total of US$ 1.3 million.
The BIS HCMC average score of 36.2 points compares extremely favourably with British GCE A Levels, representing over 545 UCAS points equivalent to 3 A* and 1 A grade at A Level. Well over half of our students exceeded this. These impressive results give our students access to the very best universities worldwide, including prestigious Ivy League colleges in the United States and Russell Group universities in the United Kingdom.
Our average score continues to benchmark higher than the global average year-on-year, which serves to highlight the excellent academic standards of our school and the calibre of our students in comparison to other international schools in Vietnam and indeed globally.
This continued academic success is a testament to the dedication and hard work of our students during their time at BIS HCMC and through a particularly challenging programme of education, our teachers who drive these exceptional results by encouraging and inspiring our students to be the best they can possibly be and our parents who provide unwavering support.
Our students, teachers and parents working together alongside an internationally respected curriculum in first class facilities ensures that we continue to offer educational opportunities to BIS HCMC students that is unrivaled by other IB schools across the globe.
Senior School Profile