Are you a highly skilled and passionate teacher ready to inspire the next generation of world leaders and 21st-century thinkers?
British International School HCMC provides opportunities beyond the ordinary for both our students and our teachers. If you are excited at the possibility of doing meaningful work in an exciting new destination, all the while making incredible new friends and learning about new cultures, international teaching in Vietnam could be for you.
About the British International School Ho Chi Minh City
The British International School, Ho Chi Minh City is the largest international school in Vietnam and a leading international school in South East Asia. Educating more than 2000 students from over 50 countries it operates from three campus sites in the vibrant and exciting Ho Chi Minh City.
The school provides a top quality British style education to students from pre-nursery to Year 13, in first-class facilities resourced to the highest level. BIS HCMC operates within the framework of the National Curriculum for England and students are prepared for both the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). Staffed by over 180 British qualified and trained teachers with relevant British curriculum experience, the education on offer is amongst the best available anywhere in the world.
The Nord Anglia Education Family
Nord Anglia Education is a family of 66 premium international schools, based in 29 countries around the world. Being a part of this worldwide organisation provides our teachers with the unique opportunity to be part of a truly global network, learn the latest teaching methods and gain exceptional credentials and experience. When you join a Nord Anglia Education school, you are welcomed into a warm, friendly community where you will collaborate and innovate with colleagues in your school, region and around the world.
"At BIS there's a culture of innovation, a culture of vision and a culture of connection. This creates a real energy around school in which we can achieve great things."– Mr Sean O’Neill, Deputy Head Teacher Secondary Campus
Our Professional Development Programme
With our comprehensive approach to professional development, our teachers continue to develop their professional knowledge and teaching practice alongside world-leading institutions such as The Juilliard School and MIT, collaborating with their peers to develop international best practice.
If you haven’t taught overseas before you might like to consider whether you are the sort of person who is able to easily adapt to teaching in another country by considering how you would respond to the following general advice:
- Learn as much as possible about the host country in advance so that you have realistic expectations. You can read our guide to Ho Chi Minh City here.
- Anticipate a challenging adjustment period of at least three months before making a decision about the move and whether you like it or not.
- Do not expect to be able to replicate your current lifestyle. Look for what is there, not for what isn’t.
- Always try to understand the host country perspective. It will be different!
- Develop a tolerance for ambiguity and frustration by being flexible and open towards the new culture.
- Do not expect of the new culture the same sense of urgency or availability of conveniences.
- In all things be flexible.
- Look for ways to strengthen and maintain your enthusiasm.
- Maintain a sense of humour, but most importantly be ready to laugh at yourself!
If you feel that international teaching at the British International School, Ho Chi Minh City might be the right option for you, please visit our qualifications page to view our teaching requirements.