Our aim at the British International School, Ho Chi Minh City is to promote life-long learning not just in our students, but in our teachers as well. We want to raise awareness towards a deeper understanding of teaching and learning pedagogies, keeping abreast of educational developments and initiatives.
Our comprehensive programme of Continued Professional Development (CPD) ensures that our teachers are kept up to date with the latest teaching methodologies and ideas. It is expected that teachers will proactively continue to develop themselves as professionals whilst they are employed at the school.
As a Nord Anglia Education school, we are part of a family of 61 schools across 28 countries. Consequently, by joining the British International School, Ho Chi Minh City you will be joining a global community of over 12,500 professional educators and support staff from Chicago to Chengdu; Houston to Ho Chi Minh and Switzerland to Singapore. Our worldwide network of schools means more opportunities for you to work with world-leading institutions such as The Juilliard School, MIT and King’s College London, share best practice with colleagues and develop your career.
We provide all teachers at the British International School, Ho Chi Minh City with access to Nord Anglia University. This is an online professional learning centre which provides a rich mix of online and face-to-face opportunities so that you have the tools to ensure that your knowledge, skills and expertise are not just maintained while teaching at our school, but are developed at the leading edge of educational thinking.
Nord Anglia University offers:
- Leadership programmes for Principals, Senior Leaders, Middle Leaders and aspiring Leaders
- Online professional support and discussion forums
- Regionally based teacher training conferences
- Workshops in school
We know that a productive and positive school culture is essential to initiate and sustain school improvement. We actively encourage networking between colleagues in like-minded schools both within Ho Chi Minh City and across the globe.
BIS HCMC has a significant budget to support the Continued Professional Development of our teachers in the following ways:
In-house Continued Professional Development
- New Staff Induction at the beginning of each academic year for new teachers.
- Teacher Days
- The school is open for 8 teacher days without students each academic year. A variety of educational activities are organized during this time including whole school or whole campus CPD. Some of these may involve the use of external CPD providers.
- Lesson Observations
- During the year, each teacher will be observed formally by a senior or middle manager. The purpose of these observations is to evaluate teachers’ performance and to offer, where necessary, suggestions for further skill development as well as to inform discussions about career development.
- Weekly Professional Meetings
- Throughout the year, specific areas may be identified for development and in-house expertise can be shared with colleagues. A time has been set aside each Tuesday after school during which workshops or information dissemination can take place.
Off-Campus Continued Professional Development
Additionally, the school often receives notification of formal CPD opportunities being offered in the region and will take advantage of them as appropriate. These usually fall into the following categories:
- Other schools within the region who are seeking to share the cost of an external CPD provider or wish to share their own in-house expertise
- An increasing number of private providers offering courses within the region
- IB/IGCSE/IPC regional courses
- Advanced Qualifications
The school will support a limited number of teachers who wish to study towards advanced qualifications like an MA, MBA, NPQH. Applications should be made to the Head of Campus.
If you feel that international teaching at the British International School, Ho Chi Minh City might be the right option for you, please visit our vacancies page to view our latest job opportunities.