Information and Reminders
Please could parents make sure all children have a suitable coat for the cold weather and are wearing appropriate school uniform. Please refer to this week’s newsletter in which Mrs Passante outlines suitable clothing to wear to keep warm in the colder weather.
Tuesday 26th January - Academic review evening 17:00 - 20:00
Wednesday 27th January - Academic review evening 17:00 - 20:00
Sunday 31st January - Chinese Temple Fair 11:00 - 15:00
If you are unable to attend the academic review evenings, please contact your child's class teacher to make an appointment at a more convenient time.
In English next week our objectives are as follows:
- To plan writing by organising paragraphs around a theme. We will continue to read ‘George’s Marvellous Medicine’ and the children will have to plan and write the next chapter in the story.
- To use nouns and pronouns for clarity and cohesion. The children will revise nouns and pronouns and investigate how to use these correctly to make sure their writing is clear and makes sense.
- To use inverted commas to punctuate direct speech. The children will be asked to include a section of speech in the chapter that they are writing, so they will learn how to punctuate direct speech correctly.
- To evaluate and edit writing. Once they have written a first draft of their story, the children will work on editing their writing. They will have to pay particular attention to all of the objectives covered this week to do this.
Our guided reading focus will be inferring a characters' thoughts and feelings using evidence from the text.
In Maths, we will focus on number facts and fractions. Our learning objectives are:
- To add and subtract near doubles. This will be our calculation focus. The children will learn how to use near doubles to add and subtract mentally.
- To find fractions of an amount (unit fractions 1/6). To begin our fractions work, the children will learn how to find unit fractions of an amount.
- To find fractions of an amount (non-unit fractions 3/6). To extend their learning, the children will then use their understanding of multiplication and division to find non-unit fractions of an amount.
- To identify equivalent fractions. To end the week, we will use a fraction wall to introduce the concept of equivalent fractions. The children will then begin to find equivalent fractions and, for those children already comfortable with this, finding equivalent fractions by changing to a common denominator.
In Topic next week, we will continue our ‘Shake It’ theme by investigating reversible and non-reversible changes. In Computing we will begin developing our online surveys.
On Friday 5th February, we would like to invite you to share our exit point for ‘Shake It’. The children will transform our classrooms into milkshake cafés in the afternoon and you are warmly invited to come along and sample some homemade milkshakes! More information, including times, will be revealed next week.