Information and Reminders
- We are encouraging Year 5 children to read at home at least 3 times a week. If you read with your child at home, please mark inside their learning journals for their class teachers to see.
- Homework is sent on Wednesdays and must be returned on Mondays to be marked. Please make sure you encourage your child to complete it on their own and inform us if they found the activity challenging so we can further support them in school. They can sign up for homework club on Thursdays and Fridays which is first come, first served.
- Don’t forget to check Class Dojo to see how many House Points your child has been collecting and to see posts of what is happening in your child’s class. You can now also check Seesaw, our new online learning platform. If you haven’t signed up to the parent version of the app, it’s a great way to see the work your child has been doing.
- As the weather is warmer we are now wearing summer uniform in the primary school. Please visit the school website or check in your child’s Learning Journal for the appropriate clothing, which can be purchased at our uniform shop.
- Please make sure your child brings a water bottle to school.
- Please note that IB and IGCSE exams are taking place and will be taken in the Primary building. The main staircase in B Block will remain closed and all students and adults should use alternative staircases. Please can we ask parents not to wait in the area outside the Hive, outside Sports Hall B or along the Year 3 classrooms, as we need to ensure silence for our older students. Parents are always welcome to go to Aspretto, our coffee shop, whilst waiting for students. Thank you for your support
Star of the Week
5A is Max Braumann, for excellent enquiry skills in our new topic 'Space Explorers'.
5B is Yosef Abumaria, for taking a positive approach to his learning, and for displaying incredible debating skills.
Tuesday 23rd May – Stage and Screen Performance; 6.00pm; Auditorium
Wednesday 24th May - Muffins with Mums; The Hub; 8.30am followed by HSK Workshop; 9.00am
Friday 26th May – Coffee Morning with Head of Primary and Head of Secondary; Aspretto; 11.00am
Monday 29th May and Tuesday 30th May - School closed
Wednesday 7th June – Parent Workshop – Transitions: 3rd Culture Kids with Olivia’s Place; 9.30am
Wednesday 7th June – Coffee Morning with Head of Primary and Head of Secondary; Aspretto; 11.00am
Friday 9th June – CCAs finish today
Saturday 10th June - Summer Fun Day
Wednesday 14th June – KS2 Production - Matinee performance 1:30pm
Thursday 15th June – KS2 Production - Evening performance 6:00pm
Thursday 22nd June – Primary Year in Review Assembly; Sports Hall B; 9.00am and End of Year Class Parties
Friday 23rd June – Last day of School Year; students finish at 12pm
In English, the children will begin reading ‘Team Moon’, a detailed account of the many people involved in making the 1969 Apollo mission happen. We will be making sense of new vocabulary and ideas as we read, and will begin to find out more about the Space Race. We will continue our work on writing letters cohesively, and will be writing monologues that portray the emotions of the astronauts.
Focus: Understand authorial intention; Imitate an author’s style; Vary grammar choices; Structure work clearly
In Mathematics, we will be revising core number skills. As we begin our mini-assessments for the end of Year 5, we will be looking at the four operations: addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, and solving word problems and logic puzzles linked to these.
In topic, the children will complete their Exit Point before moving on to the Entry Point for our new topic – Space Explorers. Next week in topic, the children will be researching the planets of the solar system. They will explore the movement of the Earth, Sun and Moon. We will then be utilising our globe skills by looking at why we have seasons. Towards the end of the week, the children will be learning about the phases of the moon.