Ways to spend time together as a family
• Share a meal together without the distraction of television or cell phones - Talk to each other and learn about what is happening in your children’s lives. Get to know them better.
• Wash the family car – Good for sensory exploration. Let your children feel the water and bubbles, and brushes and towels as well as smell the soap. Talk about the different sensations they are experiencing.
• Go on a walk together – Teach your children good habits to last a lifetime. Talk while you walk and learn something new about each other.
• Engage in a family competition – Have an art contest. Take some crayons, markers, paper, glue, tape and some odds and ends from around the house. When you involve your kids in a group task, you encourage feelings of self-esteem and competence.
• Watch a movie together - Pick your favourite movie or series, make some popcorn and cuddle up. Talk about the movie after it has finished to address any questions or confusions your children may have.
• Bake cookies together – Find a favourite recipe and collect all the ingredients. Work together to weigh, mix and bake the ingredients. Teach your children an important life skill, as well as the math concepts of measuring, and the communication and language concepts of reading and following instructions.
• Build a fort – Work together as a team to create a fort as unique as your family. Read stories, share memories or even have a tea party in the fort.