Our students learn how to appreciate different countries, cultures, communities, and people by studying languages. By making comparisons, they also gain insight into their own culture and society.
The ability to understand and communicate in another language is a lifelong skill for education, employment, and leisure in this country and throughout the world.
The study of languages at BSY includes:
- the spoken and written forms of the target language
- the interrelationship between sounds and writing in the target language
- the grammar of the target language and how to apply it
- a range of vocabulary and structures
- learning about different countries and cultures
- comparing students' own experiences and perspectives with those of people in other countries and communities where the target language is spoken
Spanish at BSY has an active approach. Students communicate through a range of tasks that link to the National Curriculum Programme of Study. They also learn how to give and gain information using the target language on a range of topics.