Our induction programme for new teachers starts months before they arrive in Thailand, as soon as they have been hired they are introduced to existing members of staff and our experienced Human Resources staff. They are able to communicate via Facebook/email and gain practical tips and information in preparation for the move.
Moving to a new country and new school can be a daunting experience, even for experienced educators. We want our new teachers to settle as soon as possible so they can offer the best possible education and school experience for your child. Psychologist Abraham Maslow identified a hierarchical pyramid of needs and stated that humans need to have their physiological needs met first before they are really motivated to be successful. Our induction programme is based on this simple, yet very effective theory and includes the following:
1. Meet and greet: Personal greeting at the airport to begin to establish relationships and personal trust.
2. Accommodation/Transport: All pre-booked/arranged on site apartment with a food hamper and bedding.
3. Personal induction: Schedule of informal activities that include shopping, arranging transport, opening bank accounts, setting up medical care etc. to ensure they have everything they need
4. Cultural induction: Interactive sessions on Thai culture & Thai language, with advice and guidance.
5. Team induction: Opportunities to get to know each other, share experiences and collaborate.
6. Academic induction: Clear expectations of what it means to be a Regents Teacher and a member of Regents community.
7. Nord Anglia Education: Celebration of belonging to a dynamic network of school and the sharing of Nord Anglia Education Teacher Standards and exposure to the Nord Anglia University.
Key messages from me to all new and returning teachers have included keeping the passion alive for teaching and learning and embracing school spirit.
As a new member of staff at Regents, I have been incredibly impressed with the way in which I have been welcomed by the Regents team and feel ready to welcome our students and parents next week.
See you all very soon and enjoy the rest of the holiday.
Read more about Maslow’s hierarchy of need here: https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html