The highlight of the tournament was undoubtedly Japan’s victory over South Africa and with the tournament taking place in Japan in 2019, the game is becoming more popular in non-traditional Rugby playing countries.
Given our status as an international school, we wanted to hear from players involved in our Rugby programme who hail from countries where Rugby in most cases, is not even shown on mainstream TV.
1. Year Group – Year 12 and my third year playing senior Rugby.
2. Home country – Malaysia.
3. What made you take up Rugby at BISS Puxi – I wanted to try something new.
4. Favourite moment – Winning ACAMIS two years in a row, hopefully 3 times this weekend.
5. How have you used skills – Taught me the importance of teamwork.
6. Next world cup impact on Asia – Yes, it will be massive. This year’s world cup has taken the game to a new level, the interest has been huge.
7. Will you continue playing Rugby after you leave BISS Puxi? – Definitely!!!!
8. Best moment of current world cup – England getting knocked out.
9. Who will win – New Zealand.
1. Year Group –Year 12.
2. Home country – Denmark.
3. What made you take up rugby at BISS Puxi – Great coaching staff, opportunity to play an excellent standard of rugby and playing with my mates.
4. Favourite moment – Singapore tour was a great laugh.
5. How have you used skills – I always used to play more football and I try to use the footwork from this sport to beat a defender.
6. Next world cup impact on Asia – The sport is growing massively as it’s a very passionate sport.
7. Continue playing after you leave BISS Puxi – Definitely, love it!
8. Best moment of current world cup – When Japan beat South Africa.
9. Who will win – Hope its Australia, but pretty certain it will be New Zealand.
1. Year Group – Year 13.
2. Home country – South Korea.
3. What made you take up Rugby at BISS Puxi – The physical challenge.
4. Favourite moment – Winning!
5. How have you used skills – Used my martial arts skills in contact.
6. Next world cup impact on Asia – Asian countries are becoming more aware of rugby with the world cup and it being in the next Olympics.
7. Continue playing – Hopefully the university I attend will have a competitive team so I can keep playing.
8. Best moment of current world cup – Japan beating South Africa.
9. Who will win – Australia, David Pocock is an awesome player
1. Year Group – Year 13.
2. Home country – Holland.
3. What made you take up rugby at BISS Puxi – Love the physicality.
4. Favourite moment – Training hard all week for a win on the weekend makes it worthwhile.
5. How have you used skills – Hardwork is rewarded in rugby, so try to apply it where I can.
6. Next world cup impact on Asia – Hopefully it will be massive.
7. Continue playing after you leave BISS Puxi – Yes!
8. Best moment of current world cup – Japan beating South Africa (sorry Michal, our South African captain)
9. Who will win - New Zealand.
I would like to thank those students who took part in this Q&A.
Next week, I will sit down with Jonathan Fudge who is Head of BISCAP and Head of Rugby in the school and will ask him more about the Rugby programme in the school.
Ryan Kealey, Marketing and Events Manager