Phonics Workshop: Please join us for the Reception and Year 1 Parent Phonics Workshop. This will take place on Thursday 15 October from 8:45-9:30 in Stage One. This workshop is an opportunity for you to come and learn more about how we teach phonics as a key element of our literacy curriculum.
- Security: Our new security system is still at the trial stage. Adults only should use the glass gates to enter and exit the school; children should use the metal gates to the side. If you are concerned that your child is young and you want to be with them then please accompany them through the metal gates. Thank you for your support.
- BISCAP: Please inform the class teacher via a note in your child’s Communication Book if your child’s arrangements change for BISCAP or end of the day pick up.
- Lunches - Please be aware that SLETO take the numbers for lunches from the school register at 9.30am every day. If you are taking your child out of school after 9.30am please inform SLETO in advance so that you are not charged on that day.
- After School Contact System - New information about this has been added to the website to help at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/after-school-contact-system. Please ensure that your child’s class teacher is aware of any changes to regular going home arrangements early in the day by writing details in your child’s Communication Book.
- If you have any old but good quality dressing up clothes that your children do not fit into or play with anymore we would love to use them in Reception. Please send them in with your child clearly labelled as ‘dressing up clothes’- Thank you.
- The outdoor environment is an important part of our provision in Early Years, and we are keen to encourage all children to participate in outdoor wet weather activities . Please ensure that your child has suitable clothing for rainy days. Wellies and a raincoat are ideal. These can be kept in school in their basket. Do remember to name everything – thank you!
- Tanzania – Our annual Tanzania animal dress-up day will be on Friday 16 october. Children will find out more in assembly next week.
LEARNING THEME: TREASURE
The Reception Cubs are thoroughly enjoying their chosen ‘Treasure’ theme and their learning has taken a pirate turn-arghhhhhhh!!!!! We are going to continue involving the children in their own learning journeys this week by inviting them to identify what pirates look like and encouraging them to give reasons for their ideas. We will be exploring different pirates, discussing their appearances and naming body parts. This will help them to answer our big question. The children will make plans, experiment and investigate, be creative and imaginative and use lots of thinking skills too.
THE BIG QUESTION: WHAT DO PIRATES LOOK LIKE?
COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE
The children will be working in small groups and class discussions to explore what pirates look like. We will be supporting the children to identify and name body parts, talk about the appearance of pirates and also give reasons for their answers. The children will create paintings of pirates and will begin to write labels to describe key features. We will be reading pirate themed stories; in particular ‘How I Became a Pirate’ by Melinda Long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4m_BW5yddU
Key Vocabulary: pirate, head, body, arm, leg, beard, patch, hook, scar, appearance, because, why?
Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking, ideas, feelings and events.
Link statements and stick to a main theme or intention.
Uses some clearly identifiable letters to communicate meaning, representing some sounds correctly and in sequence.
Writes own name and other things such as labels, captions.
Pufferfish- The Pufferfish will revise and revisit the sounds already learnt. We will continue to blend these sounds to make simple words that we can read and spell. We will also learn the new sounds z and zz and use these to make new words. We practise reading the tricky words was, my, you, her, they, all and are. We will practise spelling the tricky words the, to, I, no and go.
Sharks- The Shark group will review the sounds ck, e, u and r. They will practise reading simple words and captions featuring these sounds and they will continue to work on the correct letter formation when writing.
Octopus- The Octopus group will be reviewing the letter sounds they have learnt so far plus ck and e. They will also be doing lots of blending and segmenting practise as well as some letter formation.
Jellyfish- The Jellyfish group will revise and revisit the sounds already learnt. We will continue to blend these sounds to make simple words that we can read and spell. We will also learn the new sounds g, o, c, k and use these to make new words.
Starfish- The Starfish group will be reviewing all taught letters and learning the new sounds m, d and g. We will be practising saying the sounds correctly and listening for them at the beginning of words.
This week we will review counting by rote from 0-20 and beyond. We will also review counting objects 1:1 and in turn relate this to combining groups of objects. The children will be introduced to simple addition by having two groups of objects, combining them and then recounting to see how many altogether.
Key Vocabulary: count, number, combine, add, plus, altogether, total, equals, amount
Finds the total number of items in two groups by counting all of them.
In practical activities and discussion, beginning to use the vocabulary involved in adding.
Uses the language of 'more' and 'fewer' to compare two sets of objects.
We are going to talk about human’s body parts this week. We will learn how to name each human body parts in mandarin: head, body, hands, foot, eyes, ears, nose and mouth.
Our big question is: Where is your head/body/hands?We will try to sing ‘head shoulders knees and toes’ in mandarin.
Key words: head 头 (tou) body 身体 (shenti) hands 手 (shou) foot 脚 (jiao) eyes 眼睛 (yanjing)
ears 耳朵 (erduo) nose 鼻子 (bizi) mouth 嘴巴 (zuiba)
Jules en Marie willen circus spelen. Samen met papa en mama zetten ze de tent op in de tuin. Jules en zijn vrienden brengen een fantastische act in de piste. We toveren de Nederlandse klas om in een circustent. In onze circuskoffer vinden we allerlei circusattributen. Kan jij raden aan welke artiest ze toebehoren?
We klappen circuswoorden in klankgroepen en zeggen welk circuswoord het langst is.
U kan het verhaal van Jules met uw kind herbekijken op You Tube.