A group of environment-conscious CAS students decided to make positive changes in the BIS community by doing a green audit of the schools during their ECA last year to identify areas of development.
From this they found that there were many small changes our school could make to ensure we care for our environment and they have taken the initiative to work on these things since.
Their first success was in making the Queen Bean café totally plastic-free by working with the Epicure manager, Mr. Andy Bird and his staff, Ms. Hill and the Marketing team to provide a range of re-usable coffee cups for sale and introducing glass mason jars for smoothies instead of plastic cups. The café has replaced plastic straws with paper ones if needed by customers.
Their second success is a new recycling scheme being launched across the schools this week. The initiative was developed last year through many meetings with Ms. Hill, Mr. Nga, our cleaners and guards.
The programme consists of the following:
- Teachers are encouraged to start their own ‘1 sided paper basket’ in their classroom to print handouts onto.
- All teachers will receive a paper recycling basket in their classroom for paper used on both sides – this will regularly be collected by cleaners and delivered to the white bin outside.
- Each of the three sections of our school will receive large red bins to put used plastic bottles, cans, paper/card into at convenience – these will be emptied regularly by cleaners.
- Outside around the back of the school there are 4 large white bins which all the recycling will go into = Paper/cardboard, aluminium cans, plastic bottles, scrap metals. Once full, the cleaners and guards will deliver the contents to a reputable collection centre. The collection centre then distributes it to factories to re-use the contents.
- Parents and members of the BIS community can drop off recycling with the guards at the gates who will put it directly into the white bins.
Thank you and we all look forward to making this programme a success!
CAS Coordinator & Teacher of Science