Pleased to Meet You...Sue Smith
19 februari 2014
This week we spoke to Sue Smith, PA to our Principal, to find out a bit more about her.
- How long have you worked at BISS Puxi? I have worked at BISS Puxi since October 2013, but I have known the school for nearly two years as my daughter Helena is in Year 11.
- How long have you been living in Shanghai? I have lived in Shanghai with my husband Jim, daughter Helena and our 7 year old Welsh Terrier, Bobbie who we brought with us from the UK, for 19 months.
- What do you love most about working in our school? There is never a dull moment! In my job I have an awareness of every aspect of the school and it really makes you appreciate that school is not just an organisation, but a large and vibrant learning community.
- What is your favourite thing to do at the weekend in Shanghai? I have lots of favourite things, ranging from eating at interesting restaurants and listening to jazz music, to going on walks and discovering the history of Shanghai. But, one of the things I enjoy the most when Jim and Helena are at Dianshan Lake sailing on a Saturday, is to get all my merino wool and silk felting work out and create a weird and wonderful wall hanging, cushion or bag. At the moment I am drawing inspiration from Van Gogh’s work entitled ‘Deluge’ so everything is very stormy and wet, rather like the UK is at the moment!
- Best experience you’ve had in China? This keeps changing the more I experience. One of the most exciting was teaching 25 Chinese sailors English so that they could crew large container ships. I was invited to look around one of the docks which was a truly memorable experience, especially standing on the Bridge of one of the container ships.
- What do you miss most from the UK? My family, especially our two sons, William and Edward who are at University in the UK, and also the Wiltshire countryside where I live.