- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- ECAs and the BISCAP programme will begin on Monday 14 September.
- Library Extended Opening Hours: From Monday September 14th the library will be open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30pm for parents to borrow books. Parents register directly with the librarian and are allowed up to five books for a 2 week loan period. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Parent Helpers: We are always grateful for parents who are willing to come in to help read with children, help in the Dinner Hall, make resources etc. Please let your class teacher know if you are available. Parent Helpers: We are always grateful for parents who are willing to come in to help read with children, help in the Dinner Hall, make resources etc. Please let your class teacher know if you are available.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
In Literacy the children will continue their unit of work on writing diaries. To begin the week the children will read an example of a diary with their teacher and then scan the extract to look for the specific features of this genre of writing, such as personal pronouns (I , my and we) and words written in the past tense. Once the children have become more familiar with how a diary is written they will begin to plan writing a their own diary. To help with this process the children will take photographs of each other pretending to perform events from their daily routine. For the final piece of work the children will be given the option to either writ e a diary based on their their typical day or to write a diary based on a job such as a doctor or a teacher. We will allow the children to role play these roles in dressing up costumes so they have ideas to use in their final piece.
This week the children will continue to look at the properties of numbers. They will be ordering two and three digit numbers and investigating the concepts of more than and less than. We will also continue to work on the children’s ability to read and write numbers to 100. In Mental Maths, the children are learning to work at speed and trying not to use their fingers when adding and subtracting!
This week the children will be begin their first main topic of the year entlitled Buildings. We will begin this topic with a launch day on Monday, the children will complete a series of lessons designed to foster engangement and excitement about our new topic. The activites will include building shelters, designing their own virtual town and building a tower out of limited resources. We will then begin our study into the famous architect Hudec, who designed many of the iconic buildings in Shanghai.
The children will be focusing, as a year group and in individual classes on fostering new relationships, creating rules and the expectations in Year 2. The children will be involved in making the school a safe and happy place for everyone.
Literacy – past tense, personal pronouns – I, we, me, next, then, after that, finally
Maths – place value, digits, tens, units, hundreds
Humanities – design, architect, planning, Hudec
Het Nederlandse letterwinkeltje is officieel geopend. De leerlingen van year 2 zijn druk bezig met de rekken te vullen met de klanken die we geleerd hebben in year 1.
Deze week starten we met de opbouw van ons eigen gezelsschapsspel. We bespreken de bijhorende woordenschat en oefenen op het lezen van spelinstructies.
Next week we are continuing to work on class routines, getting to know the children and starting on our courses.