The children in the primary school at BISS Puxi follow a thematic curriculum with one main topic for each term. Specific skills for every subject are taught through these topics, ensuring subject rigour. This creative curriculum allows for collaboration and exploration making learning active, exciting and meaningful for children.
Term 1 - Buildings
The children will start the school year by learning about Buildings. During this topic, the children will learn about homes around the world and will compare their home to other homes in different countries. The children will study significant figures in building through the years such as the architect, Hudec, who has had an influence on architecture in Shanghai. In Science the children will learn about the strength of structures and in Literacy the children will create their own diary entries using the book ‘Window’ by Jeannie Bakker as inspiration, monitoring changes to a place over time.
How can I support my child?
- Over the summer holidays start taking pictures of different buildings in the places you go to and get your child to compare whether they are the same or different to Shanghai.
- Take pictures of your home her e in Shanghai and of your home (if you have one) in your own country.
- If you can, buy books to do with famous buildings and unusual homes around the world.
Term 2 – The Stories that People Tell
The children will learn about the different stories that are told from different cultures around the world and the ways that they are told, for example through puppets, and pottery. In particular the children will study Greek Myths and Legends and will learn how the Ancient Greeks told these stories. The children will create their own Medusa mask, Greek pots and Willow Tree Pattern plates. In Literacy, the children will write a character description, create comic strips and write their own version of a Greek myth. In Science, the children will learn about sound and how sound travels.
How can I support my child?
- Read Greek Myths and Legends at home.
- Make your child aware of the Myths and Legends from your home country.
Term 3 - Rainforests
In their final term the children will learn about the structure of a rainforest, and the animals and people that live in rainforests. They will learn to use atlases to locate rainforests around the world and compare them. The children will learn about issues such as deforestation and what can be done to prevent this. In Science, the children will learn about animal classification and nocturnal animals. The children will look at artists such as Henri Rousseau and his Jungle series. In Literacy the children will learn to write non-chronological reports about animals that live in the rainforest.
How can I support my Child?
- Read books about rainforests and nocturnal animals.
- Make your child aware of what we use trees for and recycling.
- Encourage your child to look at an atlas at home to help them become more familiar with the world around them.