- Thank you to so many of you who have ensured your child’s belongings are clearly named. Please can you check that all water bottles and snack boxes are named every day.
- Swimming lessons : remember to send swimming costume, towel, goggles and swim hat each Friday.
- Please remember we are a nut free school, this means you may not send any nut products at all to school at any time, this includes Nutella, snack bars that contain nuts, nut butters, nut oils or nuts.
- For the safety of all the children, please ensure the small gate is closed as you come in and out every morning. This is the indoor gate in the corridor as you approach the Pre-Nursery area.
- All of the children have at least one Tapestry post now. We value your feedback on the posts and please do remember that this is an opportunity for us to share knowledge children as individuals. Please do add your own observations and photos of children’s learning at home.
- In Nursery, we are trying to promote the children’s independence. Please can you help at home by asking your child to put on their own socks and shoes.
- We are looking for parents who are able to volunteer their time to help with our Early Years Library. This would include keeping the books in order, scanning books in and out, reading to children, demonstrating book care and making the book area looking inviting. Please email Liz Peacock (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to volunteer.
FOXES AND PANTHERS
After the holiday we will be exploring a dinosaur theme. On Monday morning the children will see some mysterious footprints going through the classroom and into the playground. We will follow them to see what they lead to. There will be a large nest hidden in the playground with some eggs inside. We will discuss what these eggs could be. What do the children think will be inside? There will be a letter accompanying the nest from a mummy dinosaur asking if we can look after her eggs. The children will be looking after the eggs, thinking about how we could do this. Over the next few days, the eggs will start to crack until finally they will hatch. We will have to take good care of the dinosaurs that hatch and give them names.
Throughout the week we will be reading the story of ‘Harry and His Bucketful of Dinosaurs’. We will also have lots of different dinosaur themed activities for the children to take part in.
‘10 Little Dinosaurs’ song
Dinosaur, egg, head, legs, tail, teeth, spikes, body
“Harry and His Bucketful of Dinosaurs”
KEY MANDARIN VOCABULARY
dinosaur(恐龙), egg(蛋）, head(头）, body(身体）, tail(尾巴）, teeth(牙齿), legs(腿), spikes（刺）
MEERKAT AND WOLF CLASS
Pupils have continued to be fascinated by the concept of change. We experimented with ice and melting, making observations about the changes that they noticed. These activities promoted lots of descriptive language and discussion. We created a display in the corridor, please have a look when dropping your child at Nursery. They have been involved in making ice-lollies and Moon Cakes taught in Mandarin, enjoying these expriences. The theme of change will continue with the children’s interest in growing being developed further. We will use the story of Jack and the Beanstalk to prompt some growing of beans, encouraging children to describe the changes they see over time.
The theme of animals has continued to be popular across the unit. The story of the The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ has been taught in English and Mandarin, with Children having access to the Story Stones to retell the story independently. Pupils have also been creating their own stones and using other materials to take part in story telling of books such as ‘The Heart of the Jungle.’ Following their interests, we have been learning more about spiders, creating webs and reading the story ‘The Very Busy Spider’ by Eric Carle. We constructed a large web in our outdoor space and even found some real spiders in the area. This has prompted our curiousity, asking questions and finding our more information. We have created long snakes using linking materials in our Maths corner, using this to compare lengths and develop measure vocabulary.
After the holiday, we aim to follow the children’s interest through some different contexts for learning. Pupils have been showing an interest in modes of transport. We hope that children will share their experiences of how they travelled during the holiday, with their classmates, so please, if you are travelling, near or far, take time to talk about where you are going and how you are going to get there.
Lots of children have enjoyed taking part in Role Play activities, pretending to be a variety of people including policemen, firemen, builders and hairdressers. Inspired by this, we hope to extend the children’s knowledge and experience of people who help us.
Both of these contexts will allow us to plan and implement experiences that promote literacy skills through stories and songs. Please see the links below for some stories and songs that you can share with pupils at home which support the learning within Nursery. We continue to provide opportunities for children to develop their Numeracy skills, linked to these contexts, for example, reading the number on buses and ordering them correctly, counting number of passengers, number of bricks etc.
KEY LINKS/ STORIES
Jack and the Beanstalk
MANDARIN IN THE WOLVES CLASS
We will be talking about transport. Reading a book called: “What is my transport?” 我的交通工具是什么 ( wo de jiao tong gong ju)
The Train Starts Off 火车开了 (huo che kai le)
Train 火车 (huo che), car小汽车 (xiao qi che), airplane 飞机 (fei ji), boat轮船(lun chuan), bus 公共汽车(gong gong qi che)
MANDARIN IN THE MEERKATS CLASS
We will read the story “Jack and Beanstalk”杰克与魔豆的故事( Jie ke he mo dou de gu shi)
Song of Magic Fingers 手指歌 (shou zhi ge)
MEERCATS KEY VOCABULARY
big大 (da), small 小( xiao), long长 ( chang), short短 (duan )
Deze week gaat de Nederlandse Kinderboekenweek officieel van start in Nederland én Shanghai. We maken kennis met Joke in het boek `Joke wil spoken`. Joke is een rondzwevende geest. Maar voor rondgevende geesten valt er weinig te beleven. Dus Joke wil gaan spoken! Joke zoekt een goed laken maar wil geen wit.... We ontwerpen een passend laken voor Joke en gaan zelf spoken in de kleuterklas.
Het lied bij dit prentenboek kan u bekijken via volgende link:
De kinderen van Nursery brengen elke dinsdag een bezoekje aan de schoolbibliotheek. Gelieve het biebboek weer tijdig mee te geven zodat uw kind elke week een nieuw boek kan uitkiezen. Hartelijk dank voor uw hulp hierbij.
het spook, zweven , het laken, spoken, griezelig