- We will soon begin to create a music wall outside using recycled materials. If you have old pots, pans, metal spoons, or any other kitchen utensils that you are no longer using, we will gladly accept them.
- We still have some spaces available for parent teacher meetings on October 31st and November 2nd, please return the form provided to secure your appointment time or speak to your class teacher.
- Please email in a family photo to your class teacher for the children to look at in learning about themselves and their family.
- Our Book Fair is happening at the end of this week, please see the notice that was sent home with your child. Parents are invited to come in and take their child to buy a book on Thursday or Friday from 8:00-10:30 or 3:30-4:30. If you are unable to come in, please feel free to send money in with your child and a teacher or LA will support them to choose a suitable book to buy.
- We are looking for parents who are able to volunteer their time to help with our Early Years Library. This would include keeping the books in order, scanning books in and out, reading to children, demonstrating book care and making the book area looking inviting. Please email Liz Peacock (email@example.com) if you would like to volunteer.
OUR LEARNING THEMES
Each teacher will plan learning experiences that link to the readiness and interests that they observe in the children in their class. While these separate themes operate in each room, the children know they are free to choose to work in another room. The planning is specific to each classroom, but not confined to that class, so children have many rich opportunities available to them across the three classrooms. Mandarin teaching will link into each theme, with the Mandarin speaking staff introducing specific language, books and songs.
BOBCAT CLASS ROOM
Our Bobcats have been showing us that they are enjoying mixing and making things. To extend this interest we will work on making playdough with the children, mixing different things in our water trough (wet and dry), we will also make scones together to eat at school and make a hot (warm) chocolate drink when the children can practise spooning, pouring and mixing. We will include some kitchen role play resources in the classroom to encourage roleplay around mixing, pouring and working with food. Outdoors we will reset our mud and sand kitchen to spark more interest in transferring this interest to outside play. We hope to link this topic also to art and music.
Mix, measure, pour, change, spoon, bowl
During mandarin we will talk about cakes.
cake/dan gao/蛋糕 flour/mian fen /面粉 suger/tang/糖 mix/jiao ban/搅拌
Colour the cakes/给蛋糕涂色
Yummy cakes /美味的蛋糕
BADGER CLASS ROOM
The Badgers have been showing lots of interest in sensory play over the last week. Next week we will be doing a range of sensory activities, focusing on the five senses e.g. what we can see, what we can hear. Different activities will be available in the water tray and in the outdoor area. This will include joining the Bobcats in making scones, practising mixing and getting to taste the final product!
Touch, hear, smell, taste, see, mouth, nose, ears, eyes, hands, fingers
This week we will learn about our senses and talk about how we use them.
eyes-眼睛(yan jing), nose-鼻子(bi zi), ears-耳朵(er duo), mouth-嘴巴(zui ba), eyebrow-眉毛(mei mao), look-看(kan), smell-闻(wen), listen-听(ting), taste-尝(chang).
小手拍拍-xiao shou pai pai, 小小眼睛-xiao xiao yan jing.
Here is a link to the xiao shou pai pai song.
TIGER CLASS ROOM
The Tigers have shown a keen interest in stories both in English and Mandarin, in the book area and library as well as using some of the story apps on our class iPads. We will continue to look at stories together in English and Mandarin next week, using some of the books we have in both languages.
They have also been fascinated by sensory play so we will investigate different textures like soap slime and soapy mud. Some of the children ahve been practising their cutting skills by cutting their own shapes. We will continue to do this and add the excitement of cutting out our own photographs.
We will talk about transport in Mandarin next week. We will read some stories and sing some songs about this topic.
Car/jiao che/轿车， train/huo che/火车，bus/gong jiao che/ 公交车，plane/fei ji / 飞机
The train is coming/huo che kai le /火车开了
Take a plane/zuo fei ji/坐飞机