Marie Marchand, consultant for Parenting Dialogue gave a workshop today on ‘How to avoid power struggles and use positive language’. There were a few tips from today:
1. Give your children more independence so they feel empowered.
2. Give them choices and make them feel that they are the ‘boss’.
3. Try to change your statements from negative ones (ex: “Don’t run across the street”) to positive ones (ex: “Please walk.”
4. Ask your children for their opinions. They will feel that they are worth it and that their thoughts count.
5. Give them responsibilities and organise routines so that they can become independent.
6. Take time to train them so that they know why and how they need to do what you ask them to do.
7. Notice when they are doing something right and show your appreciation.
8. Enjoy your children!
Please see below for more information on Parenting Dialogue.