- We will be investigating bubbles for one of our science experiments and we request that the children bring in an old (clean!) sock and any old (smallish) plastic bottles in a plastic bag labelled with their name.
- With the changeable weather we are having please make sure your child has a named light weight coat to wear outside when its cooler or wet and a sun hat for when it gets hot! On hot days sun cream should be applied before school. We do try to get outside every day.
Our Big Question: What is Science?
Reception Cubs will become budding scientists as we engage in BISS Puxi’s Science week!
We will have a variety of exciting experiments available for the children to explore and have fun with. We will even have a special message from a ‘famous scientist’ to start our week. Experiments and activities will involve bubbles, balloons, slime, ink, milk, fizzing bottles and lots more weird and wonderful resources to get the children thinking and asking questions about why and how things happen. There will also be an opportunity to visit the science investigation area that will be set up in the gallery.
- Children make observations and explain why some things occur and talk about changes
- They are familiar with basic scientific concepts such as floating and sinking and experimentation.
In response to our boat trip, we will be reviewing our fantastic day out and will write a recount about what we did, what we saw and what the best bit was. We will discuss what we learnt during the trip. Children will be encouraged to sequence photos from the trip to illustrate what they did first, next, then, after, finally.
Vocabulary: sequence, order, first, next, then, after, during. Questions words: What? Why? When? How?
- Children express themselves effectively, showing awareness of listeners’ needs.
- Children use their phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds. They also write some irregular common words. They write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible.
Puffer fish- We will have a week reviewing all the Phase 5 sounds we have learned so far, in particular all of the tricky split vowel sounds, a-e, e-e, o-e, i-e and u-e.
Sharks- We will practise recognition and recall of Phase 2, 3 and 4 graphemes. They will learn the new graphemes oe (toe), au (Australia) and ey (key). We will practise reading and spelling high frequency words.
Octopus- We will be practising writing or, ar, ur words as well as finding out about the ow (cow) sound.
Jellyfish- We will review the ‘ai’ sound and will learn our new sound ‘ee’. We will continue to read and write our phase 2 and 3 tricky words.
Starfish- We will review our 4 new sounds ch, sh, th, ng and will practise reading and writing words using these sounds.
Next week we will continue to talk about transport .We will introduce land transport to the children, travelling by train, bus, car, bicycle... Our big question is “ ni xi huan shen me jiao tong gong ju?(which transport do you like )? And we will introduce a song called “xiao huo che ( little train).
Key Vocabulary:train 火车 (huo che) bus 巴士 (bas hi) car 汽车 (qi che) bicycle 自行车 (zixingche)
De kleuters van groep 1 hebben een een interesse uitgedrukt voor de werking van ons lichaam. Waar zitten er overal botten? Wat zijn spieren? Deze week zullen we ons lichaam binnenste buiten keren.
We gaan verder met onze dagelijkse alfabet yoga sessies en focussen op de Nederlandse middenklanken.