Remembrance: Students will be singing at the beginning of the school day on Wednesday 11.11.15. Join us in observing a minute’s silence to remember those who have lost their lives in battle.Poppies are now on sale. A suggested donation of 10RMB should be given at the Primary reception desk.
- Security - Our new security system is still at the trial stage. Adults only should use the glass gates to enter and exit the school; children should use the metal gates to the side. If you are concerned that your child is young and you want to be with them then please accompany them through the metal gates. Thank you for your support.
- After School Contact System - New information about this has been added to the website to help at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/after-school-contact-system. Please ensure that your child’s class teacher is aware of any changes to regular going home arrangements early in the day by writing details in your child’s Communication Book.
- Uniform: Now that it is colder in the mornings please remember that children should not be wearing leggings, boots or hoodies. They should be wearing school jumpers/cardigans/fleeces and not other, non-uniform versions. Information is available in the Primary Parent Handbook on the website.
- Book Fair: This year the Book Fair, where you can buy books, will take place in school from Thursday 19-Saturday 21 November. More information to follow.
- Visiting Poet: Nick Tozeck will be working with children on Monday 9 and Tuesday 10 November.
In Literacy this week, we will be starting a unit on fantasy stories. This will revolve around books by James Mayhew, where a little girl, Katie, steps into famous paintings and has adventures. Our focus will be the understanding the events of the story and will include lots of drama opportunities, developing an understanding of the pattern of the books as well as the characters.
In Maths this week, the children will be focusing on writing and calculating mathematical statements for ÷ (division). This will be building on our mental multiplication skills from last week. All division will link to their knowledge and understanding of the 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables. The children will be using number lines to repeately subtract or add as a method for solving division. For example 21 ÷ 3 = 7 (21-3-3-3-3-3-3-3=0 or 0+3+3+3+3+3+3+3=21).
The children will be starting a unit this week on Light and Shadow. By the end of the week the children will have discussed the following two main questions: “What is light?” "How does light travel?” The children will create their own investigation to discover how light travel. It will be really interesting to see the ideas they come up with using the resources: cardboard, ruler, hole puncher, sellotape, white tac and string.
This week the children will be collaborating and listening to each other's ideas, especially during their Science investigation.
Literacy –plot, event, expression, intonation, mood, feelings, beginning, middle, problem, dilemma, solution, resolution, build up, ending
Maths – division, sharing, repeated subtraction, share equally
Themed Learning – light, shadow, investigate, lines, path, journey, straight, bend
Dames en Heren, Hooggeëerd publiek...!
Aanstaande donderdag is het zo ver: Circusshow Droomreis van Shanghai Dutch School heeft op donderdag 12 november een unieke, eerste en enige, voorstelling. De week staat in het teken van het oefenen, oefenen en oefenen van de circusact en de hele show. Uiteraard vullen we dit aan met spelling- en leesinstructies en lessen.
Denkt u op maandag (Y3 , Y5, Y6) of donderdag (Y4) aan het biebboek en de Estafettemap? Voor Year 4 hebben we de dag veranderd. Dit kwam beter uit in de planning.
In verband met het lange weekend is er geen huiswerk.
Year 3 / 4 Spanish – Ms Caldwell
This week we will be revising the names of the rooms of a house and asking where things are in Spanish. We will also be continuing to learn the names for some items within each of these rooms.
Homework: Puzzles re: rooms of the home and items.
Year 3 / 4 Spanish – Ms Sutton
This week we have been looking at Spain and Mexico. Homework this week is to tell someone at home three things you have learnt (see active Spanish homework hand out for ideas on how to do this). Next week we will be starting a new topic all about describing animals and pets
Year 3 / 4 French – Mrs Rae
In French next week, we will be continuing to look at describing people, thinking specifically about eye colour, hair length and even describing peoples personalities. Homework this week is to label the body parts.
Topic: Lesson 2 Subjects of Study Text 2-Continued
The students will be able to communicate with people what subjects they are learning at school
Homework: Interview your friends
Topic: Lesson 5 Age-Text 2
The students will be able to communicate with others by asking/answering the age