- Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first two weeks, homework is optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Literacy and Maths Workshop on Tuesday 8 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- Library Extended Opening Hours: From Monday September 14 the library will be open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30pm for parents to borrow books. Parents register directly with the librarian and are allowed up to five books for a 2 week loan period. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- ECA and BISCAP confirmation letters will be sent out during the week beginning 7 September. Both programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- Parent Helpers: We are always grateful for parents who are willing to come in to help read with children, help in the Dinner Hall, make resources etc. Please let your class teacher know if you are available.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Themed Learning Workshop on Wednesday 16 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
Next week in Literacy, the children will continue to develop their poetry skills by working independently with poetic devices and creating images through the use of powerful and sophisticated language.
We shall be exploring concepts connected to shape, space and measure. The children will be considering the properties of 2D shapes and we will use vocabulary to explain their understanding. They will work on pattern and sequence recognition when solving a problem with perimeter and area. This will help them recognise the more formal methods introduced later this year. They will also work on problem solving using units of measure and logical thinking skills.
Themed Learning – Inventions
This week the children will be discovering how electrical circuits work. They will learn how to record the circuits that they make using symbols to represent each part. This will lead them onto thinking about the dangers of electricity and where we can find it at home and at school. This will include a walk around the school to see what they can find!
They will use the electricity equipment available to them for two investigations. They will discover what happens when we add extra bulbs or batteries to a circuit and then create their own investigations collaboratively in small groups to find out which materials are conductors or insulators.
PSHCE (Personal, Social, Health & Citizenship Education)
We will consider the importance of food selection for snacks at break and choices in the dining hall.
Literacy – poem, alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme, simile, metaphor, personification
Maths –shape, square, triangle, rectangle, hexagon, isosceles, equilateral, quadrilateral, pentagon, heptagon, octagon, parallelogram, litre, millilitre, border, perimeter, area, similarity
Themed Learning – electricity, circuit, conductor, insulator, battery, bulb, wire, buzzer
In de ‘Languages’ gang herkent u het Nederlandse klaslokaal direct aan Maxima en Willem-Alexander op de fiets door een Hollands, Belgisch landschap, compleet met molen en frietkot, begeleid door teksten van leerlingen beginnend met:
‘Denkend aan Holland zie ik.... ‘ en ‘Hoge bomen, blijde stromen, duin en zee, en berg en dal; werklijkheid der zoetste dromen: België, België bovenal!’
Het thema ‘De Brief voor de Koning’ gestart, waarin we, naast het behandelen van het boek van Tonke Dragt en de daarop gebaseerde film, brieven zullen schrijven aan het Nederlandse koningspaar. Ze komen in oktober op bezoek en wij willen ze dolgraag ontmoeten. Kunnen we ze met onze brieven overtuigen een bezoek te brengen aan SDS?
We will be welcoming students to the class and will be doing activities to get to know the students. We will start properly next week with the newsletter.
Next week we are continuing to work on class routines, getting to know the children and starting on our courses.