A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 6 and are looking forward enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first two weeks, homework is optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- Monday 31 August – Meet the Teacher Session.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Literacy and Maths Workshop on Tuesday 8 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- ECA and BISCAP registration closes on Friday 28 August and confirmation letters will be sent out during the week beginning 7 September. Both programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- BISS Uniform Sale - Wednesday 2 September 2:30-5pm The Gallery (Primary)
Parents have the chance to buy quality “used” BISS uniform at another of our Recycle Sales. All items are in good condition and can be bought for the bargain price of 5 rmb per item. All proceeds will be donated to one of our school charity projects. Bring change and your own bag!
- Uniform Collection - We are sure that most families have several items of unwanted BISS uniform at home that you would be happy to get rid of; perhaps your children have outgrown them, have moved up to Secondary, or are moving school. Please donate these items to our Uniform Sale! All items can be dropped into the collection boxes at Primary and Secondary Reception areas throughout this and next week.All items need to be clean and in good condition.
In Literacy this week, the children will be beginning a series of lessons investigating the use of the first person to write effective diaries. These will be linked to our World War 2 topic via the wonderful book ‘Friend or Foe’ by Michael Morpurgo. They will also discover how similes can be used to emphasise a character’s emotions and express these more eloquently to the reader: vital skills to write an authentic diary. The children will also be looking at the use of pronouns to enhance their grammatical skill base.
In Maths, the children will continue working collaboratively on an exciting project about code-breaking. They will be investigating a range of codes and cyphers used throughout history, from the Caesar Shift of Roman times to the highly sophisticated Vigenere Square with its multitude of combinations and outcomes. The children will have to use a range of mathematical techniques and demonstrate excellent resilience in their investigations to solve a series of complex puzzles and solve ‘Project Ultra’!
We will be continuing our World War 2 topic and building on the foundations of knowledge we have laid in the first week back. The children will be investigating the Blitz and discovering what life was like for children under the rain of bombs falling upon London during 1940. They will also be using a range of challenging techniques in Art to construct a multi-layered piece of printed work that depicts the destruction of war. This will be coupled with an investigative scheme of work using laptops and iPads to study how shelters were built to keep the population safe from falling bombs.
The children will be focusing, as a year group and in individual classes, on fostering new relationships, creating rules and the expectations in Year 6. The children will be involved in making the school a safe and happy place for everyone.
Literacy – simile, metaphor, diary, first person, third person
Maths – problem, solve, possibilities, investigate, collaborate, experiment
Humanities – Blitz, shelter, evacuation, conflict, destruction, compassion