Spanish as a Second Language (SSL)
SSL is divided into three classes: beginners, intermediate & advanced. The SSL classes promote learning through the four skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing.
Beginners: The main objective of the beginners class is to focus on using Spanish to communicate orally both in the classroom and out of the classroom. Students will be presented with new vocabulary everyday. Games, role-plays, readings, videos, computer programs such as; Voice Thread and songs will be part of our support material.
By the end of the Beginner level, your child will be able to:
- Recognize words, and simple phrases related to my family, my school, my house and myself.
- Communicate in Spanish using basic oral communication skills that will allow them to partake in simple conversations
- Write simple sentences, and respond to questions in Spanish using personal information like: name, age, nationality, etc.
Intermediate: Intermediate SSL expands on the skills of the Beginner’s program. Students’ Spanish vocabulary skills are broadened in each project, game, reading & writing text. The use of correct grammar will become more important at this level. During their oral practice, you will see how fluent there are becoming.
By the end of the Intermediate level your child will be able to:
- Understand longer speeches, and conversations
- Comprehend Spanish in T.V. shows, and movies.
- Improve reading comprehension
- Be part of spontaneous conversations
- Obtain better vocabulary skills
- Write short texts that are clear, and have a good grammar structure.
Advanced: In Advanced Beginner Spanish class, students use the Spanish skills obtained in the past classes. When students come to this class they can speak, comprehend, write and read in the target language (Spanish). In this class, they all will become proficient Spanish speakers. As a part of their program, they will read advanced Spanish books. They will be working on their creative writing, using grammar rules at the native-speaker level.
By the end of the Advanced level your child will be able to:
- Understand any kind of conversation, be it a one on one conversation or a T.V. show
- Take part in a conversation, using common Costa Rican phrases
- Describe objects, people, animals or situations using lots of details, and precise vocabulary
- Write texts that are clear and use correct style and grammar
- Summarize texts
- Read according to their age and level