There have been some recent reports that innocent videos shown on YouTube and YouTube Kids have been hacked by unknown sources. These videos may now contain inappropriate content such as violence or violence-provoking content which is inappropriate for children. There was a recent report that content made evident on the above sites may encourage children to self-harm, this may or may not be a hoax, however the recent issue serves as a reminder that we need to be vigilant at all times. To protect your child from inappropriate content, we recommend that parents:
- monitor devices, regularly checking history (internet usage should be conducted in the same room as an adult)
- set the correct privacy controls on all devices
- only allow children to use child-friendly search engines such as ‘Kiddle’
- talk to your child and inform them of the dangers of unsafe internet usage
- encourage and feel comfortable in speaking to an adult if they encounter anything suspicious online
Please be reassured that we monitor all internet usage at school and speak to the children about internet safety. It is important that these safety practices continue at home.
If you do have any questions about Internet Safety, please feel free to contact your child’s class teacher who will be only too happy to reassure you.
You may find also find the following links useful.
Compass International School