Doha has a good number of schools however with the increasing population they are in high demand, and vary significantly in curriculum offered, qualifications of teachers and quality of education provision.
When choosing a school in Doha for your child, consider the following:
- What type of school are you looking for? Doha has some good options for international schools, but consider the following factors to decide if it's a credible choice and the right choice for your child.
- Look at the success rates of the schools. Do they have information freely available about their success rates and academic achievements? Learn more about our outstanding IGCSE and International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme results.
- Does the school have a good reputation? What do other people say about the school? Talk to other parents and seek their advice and recommendations. You can do this online before you arrive, or by asking fellow employees within your company.
- What qualifications and curriculum does the school offer? Do you want your child to follow a particular curriculum such as the International Primary Curriculum (IPC), the British National Curriculum, IGCSEs, IBDP or A-Levels? We offer the very best of British and International curricula including the IPC, English National Curriculum, IGCSEs, IBDP and A-Levels.
- Are the teachers and staff at the school suitably qualified and trained? Teachers at Compass International School Doha are rigorously checked during the recruitment process and have access to excellent training programs.
- What opportunities are there for progression? Different schools cater for different age ranges so depending on how long you plan to stay in Doha, you might want to think about progression to secondary education. At our Rayyan and Gharraffa campuses we specialise in Early Years and Primary Education for pupils aged 3 to 11 years, while Madinat Khalifa caters for young people aged up to 18 years. Our Themaid Campus offers Early Years through to Secondary education.
- Is the school in a good location? How far is it from your neighbourhood or your employer? Travelling during rush hour can be challenging, so proximity is an important factor to consider. We have four campuses across Doha in Al Gharaffa, Madinat Khalifa, Al Rayyan and Al Themaid.
- What languages does the school offer? At Compass our main teaching language is English but we also offer a variety of language options. We offer Arabic for native speakers, a Dutch Language and Culture Programme for native Dutch speakers at Gharaffa Campus( as well as Arabic, French and Spanish as foreign languages.
When applying for schools in Doha, there will often be an application fee, and the paperwork can be quite daunting. Give yourself plenty of time to make enquiries before you arrive if possible.
Read more about international education in a series of articles by Simon Porter, Head of Secondary at Themaid, and other members of our Compass Community via the links below.